Fringe Leaf Japanese Maple

butiaman(8a Douglasville,GA.)May 2, 2010

Hello Im new to this Maple forum,I've been on the palm forum for a while now.I have some questions about my maple tree, I have what I was told is a fringe leaf maple,it's about 8ft tall now.My sister gave it to me 15 yrs ago,at the time it was only about 2ft tall.It's very slow growing,but a very beautiful tree.My question is this is the first year it has produced seeds.How do you know when to pick the seeds off the tree,and do you have to scrape the seeds so they can soak up water?What is the best way to germinate the seeds?Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaitain4(7)

By "fringe leaf" I assume you mean what is usually referred to as a dissectum. These have feathery, deeply divided leaf lobes.

Japanese Maple seed should be collected in the fall when the "wings" start to turn brown. Soak the seeds in warm water for 24 hours, then place them inbetween damp (not wet) paper towels and store in a zip lock bag in the fridge. Each month change out the paper towels to prevent mold. The seeds must be refrigerated for 4 months (this is called "stratification". Then you will start to see little white roots pushing their way out of the seed casing. It looks like a little white finger sticking out. At this stage remove them from the fridge and pot them up 1/4" deep in fine potting soil. Keep them moist, but not wet, in a shady spot outside. It will take 2 to 3 years for the plants to become big enough to really tell what they will look like as adult plants. Do not expect them to look just like the parent plant. Dissectums often yield seedlings that have no dissection in the leaves at all. But its really fun to do this, so enjoy and good luck!

Bookmark   May 7, 2010 at 9:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
butiaman(8a Douglasville,GA.)

Thanks,I was told that's what it was called,a fringe leaf.The leafs look like the one at the top of this forum.That's what I do with my Blood Good maple seeds,some always start to germinate before I take them out of the zip lock bag.

Bookmark   May 10, 2010 at 9:18AM
More Discussions
split trunk on new japanese maple
Hi. With the snow and ice from this year our tree ,...
lkps
School me on transplanting a med/large Cascading JM
I have a chance to save a JM I know little about. Looks...
missrivka
Tamukeyama Japanese maple
What are the growing habits of this tree. Hight, weeping...
420benz
Eric's Weeping Japanese Maple
I was at Home Depot yesterday and got this Eric's Japanese...
Allan870
7-day season for maple sap?
Here in Southern Minnesota, had an unseasonable warm...
grovestead
Sponsored Products
Pet Bowl - 3qt - Loll Designs
$199.00 | HORNE
Currey and Company Bevilaqua 18" Wide Silver Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Fern Salt Box
$8.99 | zulily
Lush Decor Hester Green Valance
Overstock.com
Samarkand Sakarya Wool Area Rug
FRONTGATE