Dwarf Weeping Japanese maple

atableforfiveMay 3, 2013

I would like to buy a dwarf weeping Japanese maple for my husband for our anniversary. He loves the mounded forms with spreading branches but we have a mature garden and not as much space as i would like. Can anyone recommend a cultivar that has curving branches that is a dwarf species? Preferably red?
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Allan870

I'd look into a Red Dragon or Inaba Shidare.

Bookmark   May 4, 2013 at 10:22AM
houzi(8)

Not sure there is a dwarf dissectum currently available,I think they will all eventually become wide...though we don't live forever :) I think your best bet is to choose a slow growing cultivar.My personal favourite red dissectum is 'Red Filigree Lace'.Gives the appearance of a dissectum in miniature as the leaves are quite small and finely dissected.Mine do seem quite vigorous in proportion to the leaf size,but I guess in feet&inches it is slower taking up room than norm.As mentioned earlier,I've believe 'Red Dragon' is considered a bit slower growing also.

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 11:09AM
gardengal48

The term 'dwarf' is typically applied as a factor of height, not width. And while most weeping disectums are considered to be dwarf in terms of mature height (depending on graft position and staking), pretty much all of them can get wide in time.

But there are quite a few dwarf cultivars that while not weeping or mounding exactly do offer a small and often sculptural appearance. I'd look at 'Beni Ubu Gohan', 'Fireball' or 'Kurenai Jishi' for red leafed varieties and 'Mikawa Yatsubua' or 'Hupps Dwarf' for green leafed cultivars. These are not the most commonplace of JM's so locating a specialty nursery locally or ordering online may be your best bet.

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 1:37PM
rockhaven

You might try 'Ryusen'. It's weeping though not red.

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 4:50PM
More Discussions
acer palmatum
i live in hamilton ontario canada does anyone know...
mjoancam
Burlapping maples - any dangers?
We had a very harsh winter last year and I lost a couple...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
Acer Griseum grafting
I have found a medium sized Acer Griseum on the side...
peat23
Mail order source for improved silver maples?
Greetings! Brand new to the forum. This spring, I'll...
arbordavein
Zone 5a and 4b Hardy Japanese Maple Cultivars
This past winter should be a good indicator as to what...
whaas_5a
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™