Funkia Lemon Juice

lavenderlverJuly 3, 2012

Anyone have pictures of a mature plant? Mine's just a baby, but it looks like she's going to be pretty when she grows up.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

Where did you get this plant? There is no such listing either in the Library or in the Registry. Of course it could be a newly registerd cultivar. Is that really the name or is it Hosta 'Lemon Juice'. Funkia is an archaic term for Hosta that is seldom used these days.

Steve

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 12:18PM
lavenderlver

Steve, the tag says Hosta 'Lemon Juice' with Funkia written underneath. It has dark green margins with a creamy white center. I couldn't find much info about it online, so asking here.

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 4:38PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

see link

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 4:41PM
lavenderlver

Thank you Ken, I did bring up some of those pictures in a google. I'm wondering why there doesn't seem to be much info out there though. Maybe I'm wrong.

Does anyone here have a mature Lemon Juice? Would love to hear how it does and see it in your garden!

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 5:15PM
bkay2000(8a TX)

What they are telling you is that they never heard of a hosta named "lemon Juice". It's not listed in the hosta library. It's also not listed in the Hosta Registry, the place where hosta are generally registered.

That is not a hard and fast rule, but, generally speaking, a hosta is registered with the hosta society before it is introduced in commercial sales. You can look for yourself at http://hostaregistrar.org/ and at the hosta library http://www.hostalibrary.org/ where you can find photos of most registered hosta.

There was a hosta that was not registered, but patented by one of the big wholesale nurseries called Sun Hosta. So, it happens occasionally.

If you will take a photo of the plant and the tag, we'll all get an opportunity to see what it is and help you figure out what you have. A close up of the leaf will help as will pictures of the flowers, if it has any.

WE all like to learn about new hosta.

Bkay

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 7:14PM
Babka NorCal 9b

There are quite a few that aren't officially registered with the AHS. It might have originated in Europe. A grower can really just assign a name and print tags and sell it if they wish. So can YOU, if you want to spend the bucks.

Sure would like to see a photo.;-)

Ask the people who sold it to you where they got it...their supplier might have that info or be able to find out.

-Babka

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 7:40PM
More Discussions
Early emerging hostas?
What hostas which emerge early each spring before the...
donrawson
Tri State Hosta Sale
Tri State Hosta Society had a wonderful Sale today...
mbug_gw
When could I remove the covers from the 2 ceramic pots of mini hostas?
The in-ground hostas are still very much in dormancy....
Esther-B, Zone 7b
They are 'eyes' not pips
It is racist to use the word 'pips' I am told … dave...
bragu_DSM 5
Whatever happened to...?
I did a google search for Rob Canning (is that his...
Babka NorCal 9b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™