Peeling Bark on Maples

nishamhran(z8OR)June 22, 2006

The bark is peeling off my larger maples about 2 -6 inches above the soil level. All maples were 5 gallon size planted in the last 6 months to 1 year. On two trees, bark is peeling in neat strips above or below the graft. On the other trees, bark is peeling from what seems to be scratch or gnaw marks on the trunk. Is this the work of squirrels, neighborhood cats, or something else? Could dry soil be responsible for peeling bark?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Shredding of bark on maples (Japanese in particular) in spring in the PNW is often attributed to squirrels - unfortunately, a very common problem here. They strip the very thin and tender bark for nesting material. Wrapping loosely with chicken wire is a good deterrent or you could try the tree wrap product that you coat with something like Tanglefoot. This tends to be a very seasonal problem, so either way, it is something you could remove later in the season.

Bookmark   June 22, 2006 at 9:32AM
nishamhran(z8OR)

Thanks gardengal. In desperation last night, I cut up small pieces of bubble wrap and very loosely wrapped that around the affected areas figuring the squirrels would "buzz off" when they heard the bubbles burst. Do you think it's ok to leave the bubblewrap in place, or might it encourage fungal growth?

Bookmark   June 22, 2006 at 12:41PM
gardengal48

Bubble wrap or anything else that is impervious to moisture and impedes air flow would not be my first choice.

Bookmark   June 23, 2006 at 6:48AM
More Discussions
Japanese Maple concerns
The tree has two main branches. Is that normal? Also...
420benz
Need help with struggling Jap Maple
CHeck out these pictures my Japanese maple isn't doing...
djiancharles
Eric's Weeping Japanese Maple
I was at Home Depot yesterday and got this Eric's Japanese...
Allan870
Acer palmatum 'Barbara'
Acer palmatum 'Barbara' is listed as a cultivar on...
directorrod
Burlapping maples - any dangers?
We had a very harsh winter last year and I lost a couple...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™