Basil Plants-Is this a good price?

andreaz6wv(6b)April 14, 2010

I didn't seed any basil this year and need to get some whether for market or myself. I called a local greenhouse and they are selling their 6 packs of sweet basil for $6.65.

I know it is so much cheaper to start your own and I ordered some this winter, I just didn't get to it.

What do you think of this price?

Andrea

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
myfamilysfarm

To me, that's TOO much. You can still start some started. I start basil thru=out the summer.

Bookmark   April 14, 2010 at 6:45PM
lazy_gardens

Start your own ... it's only April.

Bookmark   April 14, 2010 at 9:00PM
jillzee

I agree with the others. It's very easy to start from seed. You have plenty of time. :)

Bookmark   April 15, 2010 at 8:40AM
andreaz6wv(6b)

Good enough!! Thank you for responding. I was going to buy several 6-packs, but will start some today :-)

Andrea

Bookmark   April 15, 2010 at 8:42AM
mary_littlerockar(8a-7b mid Arkansas)

Andrea,

Goodness, yes, do start your own from seed. I started some about two weeks ago and they're already up and have their first true leaves.

I have a deep appreciation for the work nurseries do but for something that grows this fast, just get those seed in the flat, girl!

Mary

Bookmark   April 17, 2010 at 5:24AM
wordwiz

Andrea,

From the opposite shore: How many plants were you going to start? IME, six plants will provide bunches and bunches of basil over the course of a summer, especially if you cut the tops of stems and let them develop sprouts. Unless you already have the potting mix, cups or flats, lights, etc., you will be hard pressed to spend less than $7.00. Plus, it's going to be at least a month before your plants are reading to go outside.

My plants produce about a pound of leaves each last year and they did not get transplanted until the end of May and I didn't tend them as well as I should have.

I would get a flat or two from the nursery and then start some more from seeds. If you are selling the leaves for $1/oz. and the plants are a decent size, you will pay for them by before your other plants are ready to go outside let alone start producing.

YMMV,

Mike

Bookmark   April 17, 2010 at 5:07PM
More Discussions
Cash Rent for land
Quick question. I am looking for some ground to rent...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Micro Greens -- Profitable?
I would like to hear from anyone growing and selling...
heirloom_lady
Wow, this is different!
Thought I would drop in and see what is happening here,...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Sprayer Value
Hi- I am thinking of buying a used mistblower sprayer,...
erniew
purple plants better than green in winter
this is the first full winter season for growing in...
grow_life
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™