quick help

skatcon(z3 MN)April 25, 2010

I am in northern MN and actually have some produce to sell now. But I don't know how to handle it. It is spinach and looseleaf lettuce. Do I wash? Dry? How? any hints or suggestions would be most welcome. I am so excited, it is my first CSA delivery and I want to do it right. Thanks for help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
myfamilysfarm

I always give my greens a quick rinse and shake dry. I harvest in a mesh bag, then dip the bag into a barrel of water, then spin it around in the air. Then let it drip til dry enough.

Bookmark   April 26, 2010 at 7:43AM
boulderbelt(5/6)

Wash them ASAP after harvest in cold water with salt and vinegar (I do around 1/4 cup salt and 1 cup vinegar for 30 gallons). Trim off any bad leaves and plunge into water. the best way to dry is a salad spinner but if you have good rotator cuffs than get a mesh laundry bag and put the washed greens in that and twirl around your head for a couple of minutes. repeat until all the greens are dried. A commercial salad spinner which costs around $175, takes about 1/5th the time and gets the greens a lot drier and less damaged. I feel it is well worth the cost.

I pack the washed and dried greens into plastic harvest crates lined with clean and dry towels and than put them into the fridge. Keeping greens between 32 and 42 degrees is really important to keep quality up.

For my CSA I bag all the greens as they don't wilt while waiting to be picked up that way. I also keep the shares in a fridge until they are picked up but I have on farm pick up. if delivering you will need enough cooler with ice packs for all the shares to be stored in until pick up.

Bookmark   April 26, 2010 at 12:25PM
skatcon(z3 MN)

Thank you for the quick response. After spending three hours yesterday hand spinning spinach, I am considering a salad spinner. However the only one I could find was at Johnnie's and was 238 dollars. Do you know of an alternative source that is less expensive? And where do folks get their plastic bags? There must be a site somewhere that caters to market gardeners, but I have not been able to find it.
Thank you again for taking the time from your busy schedule to respond.

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 12:08PM
boulderbelt(5/6)

Try this. I see they have gone up in price since I bought one 10 years ago but still a lot cheaper than Johnnys by $50

Here is a link that might be useful: Dynamic salad spinners

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 9:23AM
swigginton

I ran across the following Harvest Manual at Roxburyfarm

Here is a link that might be useful: Harvest Manual

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 10:53AM
More Discussions
Winter market 2015
Last week during the first winter thaw here I cut forsythia...
jebfarm
Selling Tomato Plants?
We have a small produce farm, and we sell everything...
tawnyap1
grow bags
anyone have experience with grow bags? looking at 15...
randy41_1
Mara des bois strawberry?
I have just discovered Mara des bois strawberry and...
cedar_wa
Starting an urban farm
Greetings all. I have read a great deal on these forums...
chardy_har_har
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™