Watering New Maples

andersogJune 11, 2008

Just got through 4 days of extreme heat here in NY, and I"m concerned about my 3 maples (sugar, red, crimson king) which were just planted 10 days ago. I was told to water 1-2 times per week, but I thought I should start doing it every other day as the leaves on the sugar maple are already starting to turn brown on the edges. Is there any problem in watering this frequently?

When I water, do I just need to fill up the 'bowl' that was made with the mulch, or do I need to have the water run for an extended period of time to truly have it settle in.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Sounds like your tree(s) is being damaged by your being steered into trying to follow a rote schedule that does not allow for variables in weather, site conditions and what state the plants are in on arrival. They may have been getting too dry before you even got them, and needed to be given several good soakings to try and re-wet the original field- or potting soil rootballs. Poke around in the dirt right around them to see if it is moist all the way through or in fact partly dry. Once determined to be moist or made moist all the way through, water as often and heavily as is needed to maintain this condition. Keep periodically digging into the soil if you have to in order to keep on top of things.

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting fact sheet.pdf (application/pdf Object)

Bookmark   June 11, 2008 at 5:12PM
More Discussions
Over-wintering small Maples on a window sill
Het, Just wondering. Can you over-winter small maple...
Timothy Wood
Central lead?
Had this tree planted in the fall and getting increasingly...
libratravel
Acer palmatum 'Barbara'
Acer palmatum 'Barbara' is listed as a cultivar on...
directorrod
acer palmatum
i live in hamilton ontario canada does anyone know...
mjoancam
Is it ok to plant Bloodgood at December in zone 7a?
I got two 45 gallon Bloodgood JM trees on my driveway....
Pro320
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™