Two Japanese Maple Rootings Not Growing

ladybug80June 17, 2010

Hello All,

Around last fall, a friend of mine gave me two Japanese Maple rootings from his JM.

Neither JM has formed any new growth except for a few leaves that one rooting formed in May. These leaves are in the middle of the stem. The other rooting is bare. One rooting is about 6 inches tall, and the other is about 3 or 4 inches.

What do JM rootings need to grow properly? Apparently, I have not been caring for them correctly. I have kept them in a big pot because I wasn't sure if I should plant them yet. At first, I left them alone in the soil they came in for awhile which seemed to be it's native soil. When I saw they weren't growing, I mixed a little bit of dehydrated manure fertilizer and potting mix into the soil hoping that it would help them, but it seems to have harmed them instead of helped.

I've made searches online for how to care for JM rootings, but have not been able to find much information. What should I do to make them healthy again and encourage new growth?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

The usual term is cuttings rather than rootings, you should find much more searching with the customary word. With cuttings of deciduous trees and shrubs it is often necessary to follow a comparatively strict procedure in order to get them to both form roots and then grow away again the following spring. If the tips of the rooted cuttings do not have time to flush a new stem growth, form overwintering terminal bud the cuttings may fail to continue growing the following spring - despite having had roots and remained alive up to that point. To overcome this more difficult kinds are taken as early as possible in the growing season, put under mist to keep them from shriveling before the roots form. But if you are getting some new top growth from at least the one cutting this may not be your problem - at least with the one cutting. If it did not form very many roots there may not be enough of a root system yet to support a full top growth. Or there could be some other problem or limitation present, it sounds like it may have died back a bit.

Yes: amending of individual planting holes with organic material when setting out long-term plants like trees and shrubs is counterproductive, due to how it affects movement of water into and out of the amended planting hole.

Bookmark   June 18, 2010 at 3:26AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladybug80

Somebody from another forum told me the term was rootings. Okay I will use the term cuttings for my research then.

I have two photos, but I am not sure how to attach photos to this forum. How do I attach the photos so that I can show you what these cuttings look like?

Thanks!

Bookmark   June 18, 2010 at 12:18PM
More Discussions
Japanese Maple concerns
The tree has two main branches. Is that normal? Also...
420benz
Burlapping maples - any dangers?
We had a very harsh winter last year and I lost a couple...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
Need help identifying a mislabeled JM
This Japanese Maple I bought was labeled Aconitifolium....
krisgm
Dip N Grow on Maples?
Hey, I was just wondering. Does anyone know if Dip...
Timoth26
Japanese maple tree identification
Hi, I got this Japanese Maple from an arbor day giveaway...
iluv2knit
Sponsored Products
American Drew Jessica Mcclintock The Boutique Collection Mirrored Server - White
Hayneedle
Beaumont Wall Address Plaque
$129.00 | FRONTGATE
Accent Rug: Candice Olson Winter White 2' x 3'
Home Depot
Cheshire Wall Sconce
Lightology
18 Ga Sink Strainer Grid Cutting Board
PLFixtures
European Hand Knotted Antiqued Oushak 3'x10' Runner Veg Dyed Oriental Rug H5112
BH Sun Inc
Bolla Bronze Two-Light Bath Fixture with Ceylon Glass