Getting things planted, finally

jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)May 21, 2013

First cold, now severe weather, wind, rain and hail. I was going to plant transplants out this last weekend, but they were calling for severe weather for several days, hail, winds and tornadoes. I held off, glad I did because we had it all in the area. No damage here, but not too far away it was a different story.

Finally got some more lettuce in outside. I have been seeding trays about every 3 weeks, well these last two plantings ran together due to the weather. So we got them planted tonight even though we had 1.8 inches of rain over the weekend. Plastic mulch is pretty awesome!

Got the first outdoor planting of tomatoes in too. I wanted to get them planted around the 5 of May, but we had snow two days before that, it wasn't going to happen.

Cucumbers and Zucchini were seeded in plastic mulch on Saturday and Sweet potatoes went in on Saturday evening too. We have more slips coming this week.

Jay

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
2ajsmama

Glad you're OK. Saw the news last night ( I don't watch Tv except for Monday nights) and the devastation in Moore OK. Was going to post but computer shut down. I've reached the limits of what I old Betsy can do for updates. Using iPad now and I hate it.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 6:34AM
myfamilysfarm

Sheila, Moore, OK is just outside of Oklahoma City, OK, not that near of Jay. I believe he's in Northern Kansas, if I remember right.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 9:06AM
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)

Yes we are ok, we did have two tornadoes in the area. An F 0 and an F 1. Both about 8 and 14 miles away. We also had 80 mph plus straightline winds and 10-15 minutes of pea, marble and quarter sized hail. The winds were straight west of our location and a little north and a little south. Many trees damaged or uprooted.

Lots of damage to sheds, outbuildings and other small structures. Comparing to what has happened in Oklahoma, it is like a scratch or just a paper cut.

Jay

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 9:26AM
2ajsmama

Yeah I know where Moore is but also heard KS was getting severe weather and Jay said t was close. I didn't know IN was in path, don't remember anybody here being in OK Mo etc. that's why I started other thread. Glad you are all right.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 11:28AM
cole_robbie(6)

Glad you're ok.

Have you had good results with tomatoes in a double row like that? Is it a compact-growing variety?

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 11:30AM

Yes they are determinate varieties, probably won't get taller than 3 feet.

We did this last year and got by good. It was in one of the high tunnels, so we spaced them out about every 15 inches instead of every 12 inches.

I have planted every 12 inches before, in single rows, and it was fine. I thought why not?

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 12:10PM
gama_garden_tx(9)

For the tomatoes do ever have problems with the tomato hornworm. If so, how do you keep the damage to a minimum? I can't seem to grow anything other than cherry varieties as far as pest destruction is concerned.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 2:24PM

I just hand pick the hornworms or you can spay with BT. They never are a big problem. Some years are worse than others.

Jay

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 2:58PM
myfamilysfarm

I agree, just keep picking them off. We see fewer each year. Of course, we smash the worms after picking. Grandsons love to see the green goo.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 6:32PM
little_minnie(zone 4a)

We have had rain since Friday. I have a lot of things to still get in. Today I did more onions in the drizzle until it started raining. I wanted to get tomatoes and a few more brassicas in but no luck.

Jay your stuff looks really good. I used white for the lettuce too but only have 2/3 of one bed planted.

If you had sandy soil wouldn't it be better to plant in a depression rather than mound? That way the plants would get the water and the weeds the dry. I am still working out what everyone does with the area between beds.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 7:27PM
Rio_Grande

We are fighting the weather as well. Our in by date was 15 may. All of our raised beds look fantastic with all this rain, but our row crop fields are so wet we cannot get in them to lay plastic. I tried Monday. Got 2 200 foot rows in before it was too wet to get the layer to work right.

Hopefully this next week will bring some dryer ground. In they mean time we have been planting what we can in the 2rows.

Your plants look great.

Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 10:47PM
TomatoesAndThings(7A)

Everything seemed to take off here in the past couple weeks. Here are some pictures i took today. The tomatoes are doing really good as well as the potatoes.

Bookmark   May 26, 2013 at 11:44PM
TomatoesAndThings(7A)

Here is some of the broccoli.

Bookmark   May 26, 2013 at 11:50PM
TomatoesAndThings(7A)

And the potatoes.

Bookmark   May 26, 2013 at 11:52PM
little_minnie(zone 4a)

Wow it seems like looking into the future for me! To see summer growth is almost incomprehensible right now.

Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 7:36PM
More Discussions
Selling Tomato Plants?
We have a small produce farm, and we sell everything...
tawnyap1
Cash Rent for land
Quick question. I am looking for some ground to rent...
The new season has started
First planting of carrots are planted. Sorry the picture...
purple plants better than green in winter
this is the first full winter season for growing in...
grow_life
Finding the right market
Other thread getting too long and going in too may...
2ajsmama
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™