Bloodgood questions (size, support)

sue36(Z5 Maine)June 5, 2008

Hi everyone. We just purchased a Bloodgood (it's currently over 5' tall) and I'm trying to figure out how close to the porch I can put it. It's on the side of the house, the north side, which gets some morning sun, bright shade during the day, and then some early evening (5:00 or so) sun. We are in zone 5b (our last 2 winters have gone to about -5).

What is you actual experience with how tall and wide this tree will get in this type of zone? I've read numbers all over the map (from 12-30 tall to 6-20 wide). Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Even within your climate results will vary with individual site conditions. However, this one is definitely a tree and would grow over 30' tall and somewhat less wide if you had a situation promoting full development. Assuming it survives your winters for decades some day it will probably be wondered why it was planted right next to the house.

Bookmark   June 5, 2008 at 12:41PM
alley_cat_gw

Sue, bboy is right, you r better off thinking about how FAR from the porch you can get.Or if possible, look into some similar cultivars that really resemble 'bloodgood' but without the mature overall size. There are alot of nice choices out there with similar characteristics. regards AL

Bookmark   June 10, 2008 at 3:30PM
toronado3800 Zone 6 StLouis(6)

I wouldn't worry alot about it getting out of controll. Chances are your winters will slow down its growth and with some thought and forsight you'll figure out how to prune it into an attractive shape for decades to come.

Its not like a fast growing silver maple.

Bookmark   June 13, 2008 at 2:36PM
More Discussions
Japanese Maples - first year care
Zone 7a - North Alabama Hello and first real post in...
Bama_Joe
Central lead?
Had this tree planted in the fall and getting increasingly...
libratravel
split trunk on new japanese maple
Hi. With the snow and ice from this year our tree ,...
lkps
Green-leafed, spreading-habit Japanese Maple varieties?
Hi All- We're looking for a Japanese Maple for our...
folksnake
Is the trunk on my maple tree rotting?
About 3 years ago we had an early snow and the center...
sands4us
Sponsored Products
Elk Lighting Fishing Bobber Bookends - 93-9262
$62.00 | Hayneedle
Rectangular White Ceramic Vessel or Built-In Sink
TheBathOutlet
Arteriors Home - Graham Lamp - 42683-329
Great Furniture Deal
Mykonos Octopus Table
Grandin Road
Knoll | knoll kids Maya Lin Stones with Optional Cushion
YLiving.com