Elephant Ears & Caladium

gardeningwithlcgrace(7 Delaware)February 21, 2013

I'm wondering when the right time is to plant the bulbs that I just purchased... and would you dig them up each year? These were strictly more of a houseplant thing or grown in a pot back in PA... but now that we've moved, I can't wait to try these "new to me" bulbs!

Any advice on how they hold up in windy conditions? Should they be more sheltered? ~~pretty crazy winds here. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kimka(Zone 6B)

Elephant ears and caladium need to be lifted each fall; with rare exception, they will not survive the winter outside.

Caladiums in particular like warm soil temperatures. The best way to get maxiumum growth with them is to pot them them up in March and grow them on inside until late May or June. This way the colorful foliage will be growing already when the soil is warm enough outside.

Some caladiums will burn if you plant them in the sun; others like the sun (kind of like coleus).

Elephant ears are a little more forgiving and can grow in mostly shade to full sun, especially if they have lots of moisture in full sun.

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 8:49AM
gardeningwithlcgrace(7 Delaware)

Thx so much! I found a huge post on EE's here on another thread.... I had no idea there were different varieties and their preferences. I'll have to grab some pots and potting soil and have fun next weekend! Thanks so much!

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 9:57AM
shadysite(8)

We have kept both Black Magic and Colocasia escalanta bulbs growing inside in a sunny window this year in Chevy Chase and we have other bulbs stored for replanting in late spring. I have occasionally discovered Colocosia escalate growing in our sandy yard in Severna Park when I haven't dug quite everything up, but resurgence is definitely erratic and depends on many things. Too much water, too long a freeze, etc.

Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 10:02AM
gardeningwithlcgrace(7 Delaware)

What is the root spread for these? Are they only very fine roots? or more substantial? Waiting for Spring is sooo difficult!!

Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 3:16PM
More Discussions
Not a serious Spring Swap post (yet)
Just wanted everyone to know that Henrietta called...
Larry Kahn
2015 Spring Swap Dates Survey
Here's the survey. For each of the dates you can put...
Larry Kahn
any luck with "Bangle Spanish Gorse"?
I saw this plant on Wayside recently, and it might...
trackmom
Honeyberries in DC area?
Hi, I'm considering adding a few honeyberry plants...
zendog
Nandina 'Plum Passion,' beautiful, but hardy??
Hi. I would love to plant a bunch of Nandina "Plum...
reddbuffalo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™