Concerned about Sango Kaku (Coral Bark)

lelynnJune 3, 2014

We recently re-did landscaping in front of new house and planted this Japanese maple. We roto-tilled the beds and added lots of organic equine compost beforehand, along with some gypsum to help break up the clay (the dirt was pretty poor). We also put a thick layer of mulch over the top. It's been in the ground for about 1.5 months now. A few days after it was planted we had 95 degree weather for about 4 days in a row. I kept it watered and have continued to check the ground regularly to make sure it's not getting too dry. It's on a drip and gets about 20min of water 3 days a week. It can also get a bit windy in the morning and afternoons. Also, front of our house faces full North, so gets sun but lots of shade as well (it's in a corner right near kitchen window so I think it's pretty protected). The leaves were green and now this is happening, am I over or under watering or is this tree sick? Please help, thanks!

This post was edited by lelynn on Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 12:38

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
May888

you must live in my area as well as I experienced the same climate.

I noticed that some of my leaves are becoming like yours on my true Japanese maple tree. I wasn't sure if it's the wind or lack of water. I water it 2x a week. I wasn't sure if it's sunburn. Some of my leaves like in your picture are becoming hard.

I'm curious if anyone knows what's the problem.

Subscribe :)

Bookmark   June 3, 2014 at 1:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

I'd be concerned about it being under watered. Winds can have a desiccating affect on foliage and that could result in the spotting/discoloration of the foliage. Newly planted trees need good bit of water, especially when planted at this time of year. As long as drainage is good - very important - the soil should stay consistently moist.

I would dig down next to the rootball and feel with my fingers. The soil should be moist to the touch even with the base of the rootball at least.

Bookmark   June 3, 2014 at 2:37PM
More Discussions
Is this japanese maple dying?
I've have this young beni schichihenge for its first...
ledouchebag
acer palmatum
i live in hamilton ontario canada does anyone know...
mjoancam
Zone 5a and 4b Hardy Japanese Maple Cultivars
This past winter should be a good indicator as to what...
whaas_5a
Japanese cultivars requiring the least sun (Zone 5)
Japanese Maple Cultivars Requiring The Least Amount...
directorrod
Acer Rubrum Redpointe - Pictures Anyone???
Was originally looking to get a Autumn Blaze but read...
sam268
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™