Japanese Maple Seeds

myyellowstangJune 4, 2006

We didn't want to pay the $300 the nursery was asking for this tree, so we got someone to give us some seeds. Do I just drop them in dirt or do I do something special?

They have been sitting in my car for a month at least, I hope that I didn't ruin them, I forgot about them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
myersphcf(z6a IL)

WHAT TREE??? If it was 300$ it much have been really big!!! ... if it's a named cultivar and you like that look your seeds will most likely NOT look the same even if it came from the same tree . And will take many years to grow to a nice size . You can get nice sized JM's for alot cheaper than on line or possbly at k mart walmart or another nursery.... unless you want a ten foot mature tree which again begs the question why would you want seeds ... you post does not offer enough info ..I leave it to someone else to do the seed thing but there is a method to "do" seeds ...and so far it doesn't look like you have followed it who knows whether your friend has...and as I said seeds could look like just about anything!!! David

Bookmark   June 4, 2006 at 2:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dawgie(z7NC)

If you don't want to spend a lot of money on a Japanese maple, I would suggest going to a Lowes or Home Depot or other big box store that carries plants. Named varieties of Japanese maples will always cost more, but the ones with general "Japanese maple" labels should be less expensive. Some nurseries will also sell them. It's not hard finding a generic JM for $15-25 if you don't want to spend a lot, or you can buy named varieties from on-line nurseries for that much.

Growing JM seeds can be tricky if you don't know how. I haven't done it, but have read about it. Generally you need to keep the seeds cool (like in a refrigerator) for several months, and then sow them in damp soil and wait to see what happens. You never know what you will get. Most of the seeds probably will not germinate, and of those that do, some might be green, others red, etc.

Bookmark   June 5, 2006 at 9:25AM
More Discussions
Species Acer Palmatum leaves turning red
I have a couple of species A.p. seedlings under lights...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
Is this japanese maple dying?
I've have this young beni schichihenge for its first...
ledouchebag
Burlapping maples - any dangers?
We had a very harsh winter last year and I lost a couple...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
Need help with struggling Jap Maple
CHeck out these pictures my Japanese maple isn't doing...
djiancharles
Acer Rubrum Redpointe - Pictures Anyone???
Was originally looking to get a Autumn Blaze but read...
sam268
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™