Question on Sunset Maple

gpeckJune 14, 2007

I have a sunset maple tree that I have had for about 9 years now. I live in Idaho and the tree has been doing wonderful until this year. What is happening is that 60% of the branches have no leaves and I think they are dead. None of the top branches have any leaves at all. I have been giving the tree plenty of water and I put on some save a tree that the green house gave me. Last year each branch grew about 2-3 feet. I am not sure what happened to it. We did not have a lot of snow cover this year and temperatures fluctuated quit a bit. Our lowest was about -5 for a one week period.

If I look really close at the bark, it looks like I can see some little cracks. Not sure if this is normal or not.

Any suggestions? Leave the branches with no leaves on them until next year?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Probably you have a Red Sunset = 'Franksred' red maple. Maples are prone to dieback diseases, sounds like yours has picked one up. Try Idaho Cooperative Extension, see if they can assist you with diagnosis.

Bookmark   June 14, 2007 at 4:26PM
gpeck

Found out that the tree has Verticillium bacteria. From what I am reading the survival rates for trees is not that great for trees that get this.

Bookmark   June 15, 2007 at 4:24PM
schmoo

Verticillium is normally considered lethal. There are lists on the net for ornamental trees not bothered by it or are very resistent

Bookmark   June 17, 2007 at 10:41AM
More Discussions
help choosing a tree
I want to put a row of trees between my neighbor and...
bucks502
Refreshing dirt in potted trees
Hi guys - I have 2 Japanese Maples in wine barrels....
minflick
acer palmatum
i live in hamilton ontario canada does anyone know...
mjoancam
Dip N Grow on Maples?
Hey, I was just wondering. Does anyone know if Dip...
Timoth26
Central lead?
Had this tree planted in the fall and getting increasingly...
libratravel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™