Maple Seedling-Will this be an issue for grafts-Pics

keithaxis(z4 Wash State)June 28, 2007

Does anyone have this issue with seedlings that have been grown close together? Will this cause problems with grafting? The blackened wood and dead area's on stem.The last picture shows it the best.

Thanks,

Keith in Buckley,WA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mattlwfowler

I haven't had this from growing too close together, but I have seen it for being in a shady damp spot which is more or less the same thing. Most of what I see probably will cause some problems. I would get those guys spread out and maybe put a little fungicide in there to prevent it from getting worse.

Bookmark   June 28, 2007 at 8:02PM
conifers

That' a Maple fungus (little red dots) and not healthy so it's a no-go. Grafting requires a healthy understock and healthy scionwood. The darker areas are plants that will die at some point.

Dax

Bookmark   July 1, 2007 at 11:25AM
schmoo

Looks like two problems to me. The first one's are the blackened stem at the soil line...winter injury (that area of the stem is first to wake up,last to go to sleep...rule of thumb). The second is blackening on stem at the nodes....Psuedomonas syringae or the Black Death :-)).
This is a bacteria, so fungicides wont help. Make sure your fert. is not running to late into the fall and dry them down in the fall ("dry down" is restricting water slightly and slowly to induce stress and it helps force the plants growth to harden up)

Bookmark   July 2, 2007 at 12:45PM
Grancru(z5 MI)

Is there a cure for Psuedomonas syringae? I believe I have this on a Waterfall Maple.

Bookmark   July 3, 2007 at 10:03AM
schmoo

Some pesticides are labeled for Psuedomonas, but not many. Of those on the market, virtually all are topical only...they will effect the bacteria on the out-side of the plant, none that has gotten into the plant.Look into "systemic copper", there is one on the market that commercial growers use, not sure if you will have access to it.
Prune out what you can and "grow" the plants to be resistant (note fertilizer & water referance above), it can make a big differance.

Bookmark   July 3, 2007 at 12:38PM
More Discussions
Is it ok to plant Bloodgood at December in zone 7a?
I got two 45 gallon Bloodgood JM trees on my driveway....
Pro320
Central lead?
Had this tree planted in the fall and getting increasingly...
libratravel
Burlapping maples - any dangers?
We had a very harsh winter last year and I lost a couple...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
Acer palmatum 'Barbara'
Acer palmatum 'Barbara' is listed as a cultivar on...
directorrod
Over-wintering small Maples on a window sill
Het, Just wondering. Can you over-winter small maple...
Timothy Wood
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™