Prune maple into bush

mkirkwag(Puget Sound)June 8, 2008

The same Japanese maple from my previous question - a red maple about 2 stories tall - regularly gifts us with seedlings. We have a sapling growing in an inappropriate place. It's about 3-4' (not sure - it arches). I know we won't be able to get it out of there with its roots intact - too many competing roots in the area. You can prune a fig tree into a bush, but I haven't heard of doing it with maples. I wonder what would happen if I pruned this little guy instead of removing him? I know it wouldn't turn into a true bonsai without root pruning. Has anyone ever tried this? If so, what was the result? Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Yes you can restrain it with pruning. Start by reading the discussion of pruning in a copy of Vertrees/Gregory, Japanese Maples. It is probably in your local public library system somewhere.

Or you could look at a copy at the Miller Horticultural Library at the University of Washington Botanical Gardens in Seattle. Probably still open Mondays until 8PM, for those who can't get there during the day.

Bookmark   June 8, 2008 at 2:57PM
More Discussions
Acer palmatum 'Barbara'
Acer palmatum 'Barbara' is listed as a cultivar on...
directorrod
Mail order source for improved silver maples?
Greetings! Brand new to the forum. This spring, I'll...
arbordavein
Is this japanese maple dying?
I've have this young beni schichihenge for its first...
ledouchebag
Need help with struggling Jap Maple
CHeck out these pictures my Japanese maple isn't doing...
djiancharles
help choosing a tree
I want to put a row of trees between my neighbor and...
bucks502
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™