I plan to plant a 'Fireglow' and I can't avoid both winter wind and winter sun.
If I had a choice which evil should I avoid?
Everyone who guided me when I bought my fireglow in zone 5a STRONGLY cautioned against the nw winter winds.
Dang it, someone snatched up that 'Fireglow' I was going to get. Looks like I have to wait another year!
I was leaning towards the location that was protected a bit from the winds but would get winter south sun.
Sun is easier to protect against - using a tree wrap or similar product can insulate sufficiently so that the freeze/thaw cycle that can split and damage bark is prevented. Much harder to ward off winter winds, unless sited in a location that is sheltered by evergreens or some other winter-present buffer.
Is the Fireglow only available at one location? This is such a popular little maple, it seems like most nurseries would carry it, if they carry JM's at all.
I can only speak to one year here but I planted mine last year towards end of May and was concerned with the drought last summer but it came back this year and looks beautiful. I am technically considered zone 6 but on GW am zone 5 still, either way I border zone 5. Mine's in full sun and wind. I have big trees 50 feet North but they don't provide much in the way of shelter from wind since they are leafless in winter. I had read that they are one of the better ones for full sun. Since I really wanted one I decided to chance it.
gg, it fairly frustrating at how limited plants are around here. This is the first year I've seen 'Fireglow' and there was only one at a Menards of all places.
Out of frustration I still planted a JM, lol. I planned to put one here anyway just not this year.
Acer dissectum 'Red Dragon'