The lesser evil...winter wind or winter sun

whaas_5a(5A SE WI)June 10, 2011

I plan to plant a 'Fireglow' and I can't avoid both winter wind and winter sun.

If I had a choice which evil should I avoid?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rmac78

Everyone who guided me when I bought my fireglow in zone 5a STRONGLY cautioned against the nw winter winds.

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 3:39PM
whaas_5a(5A SE WI)

Dang it, someone snatched up that 'Fireglow' I was going to get. Looks like I have to wait another year!

I was leaning towards the location that was protected a bit from the winds but would get winter south sun.

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 4:56PM
gardengal48

Sun is easier to protect against - using a tree wrap or similar product can insulate sufficiently so that the freeze/thaw cycle that can split and damage bark is prevented. Much harder to ward off winter winds, unless sited in a location that is sheltered by evergreens or some other winter-present buffer.

Is the Fireglow only available at one location? This is such a popular little maple, it seems like most nurseries would carry it, if they carry JM's at all.

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 5:14PM
Cher(6 SW OH)

I can only speak to one year here but I planted mine last year towards end of May and was concerned with the drought last summer but it came back this year and looks beautiful. I am technically considered zone 6 but on GW am zone 5 still, either way I border zone 5. Mine's in full sun and wind. I have big trees 50 feet North but they don't provide much in the way of shelter from wind since they are leafless in winter. I had read that they are one of the better ones for full sun. Since I really wanted one I decided to chance it.
Cher

Bookmark   June 11, 2011 at 5:59PM
whaas_5a(5A SE WI)

gg, it fairly frustrating at how limited plants are around here. This is the first year I've seen 'Fireglow' and there was only one at a Menards of all places.

Out of frustration I still planted a JM, lol. I planned to put one here anyway just not this year.

Acer dissectum 'Red Dragon'

Bookmark   June 11, 2011 at 9:00PM
More Discussions
Species Acer Palmatum leaves turning red
I have a couple of species A.p. seedlings under lights...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
Japanese cultivars requiring the least sun (Zone 5)
Japanese Maple Cultivars Requiring The Least Amount...
directorrod
Has anyone ordered a Jap. Maple online
Looking for a lace leaf japanese maple around 3 Gal....
420benz
Eric's Weeping Japanese Maple
I was at Home Depot yesterday and got this Eric's Japanese...
Allan870
Planting a Sugar Maple seed.
Hello! I've got a beautiful Sugar Maple in my yard,...
Pippers
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™