Bihou Japanese Maple Question.

cubbyboyJune 24, 2013

Hey all -
I want to add another Japanese Maple to my collection and I was thinking of adding Bihou. It would get full morning and afternoon sun with a break in late afternoon. I plan on planting this tree about 6 feet away from a back family room bay window. I heard this tree is simiar to Sango Kaku (which I have planted in a similar location and it is doing great). I also read this tree will get about 8-10' high and stay pretty upright. I am just curious if others have planted this tree and how it does in the sun and what you think about it. Thanks all.

Side note- I currently have:
Bloodgood
Sango Kaku
Red Dragon
Butterfly
Tiger Rose

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Prone to winter tip die-back here. Maybe in your hotter summer climate this would not happen.

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 4:15PM
cubbyboy

I'm actually torn between the Bihou and the Summer Gold. I want something with yellow in the summer which is why I like the Summer gold. However, I like the yellow bark of the Bihou because I plan on contrasting it with the Sango. I'm not sure I want the green leaves of the Bihou for the summer though. Stumped !

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 4:23PM
arktrees(6b NW Arkansas)

Bihou is beautiful IMHO. I will NOT have another one.Long story short, hated our winters. Had lots of dieback even with the mild winter of 2011-2012 and protected. Put it out last winter, and it went to crap. Did great in last summer's heat in full sun (many many many days of 100+), but winter is the enemy for this selection. Shame took. An Acontifolium too it's place.

Arktrees

This post was edited by arktrees on Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 23:57

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 5:49PM
the_morden_man((Z4-Z5) Ontario, Canada)

Have you considered Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum' as another potential option. It is incredibly beautiful.

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 8:36PM
cubbyboy

Thanks all. I actually ended up buying a few more. I am going to try the Bihou in a spot near our kitchen window. Hoping for the best. It's only a 3 year tree so will see what happens. The cost was not great, so if I lose it won't be a big monetary loss. I also bought a few more to add some color. Orangelo, Aureum, and Twombleys Red. The Aureum is in a great spot and I am really looking forward to seeing what this tree does. My only concern is that the Aureum will get a pretty significant amount of sun. So...I am going to monitor it and might eventually move it if the sun is to much. Will see...

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 10:45AM
gardengal48

I will tell you right off the bat that 'Aureum' will not be happy in much sun. Especially afternoon sun. The leaves will scorch very easily. This is a selection that thrives in a shady location - in fact, that bright golden color ideally enlivens a shady location.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 2:21PM
More Discussions
Central lead?
Had this tree planted in the fall and getting increasingly...
libratravel
Need help with struggling Jap Maple
CHeck out these pictures my Japanese maple isn't doing...
djiancharles
Japanese maple tree identification
Hi, I got this Japanese Maple from an arbor day giveaway...
iluv2knit
Kashima maple pruning
First off, I'm new to this forum so hello to everyone!...
Justin
Need help identifying a mislabeled JM
This Japanese Maple I bought was labeled Aconitifolium....
krisgm
Sponsored Products
Island 2-door Buffet
Overstock.com
Kincade Childs Leather Close Contact Saddle - 746003
$399.99 | Hayneedle
AICO Furniture - Beverly Blvd 4 Leg Dining Table with Glass...
Great Furniture Deal
AICO Furniture - Windsor Court Leather 2 Piece Sectional Sofa with...
Great Furniture Deal
60" Trevett Double Vanity for Undermount Sinks - Walnut
Signature Hardware
Possini Euro Xane Bronze Dark Sky 11" Wide Wall Sconce
Euro Style Lighting
Ambella Home Collection - Christol Chest - 41006-830-001
Great Furniture Deal
Ambella Home Collection - 84" Davidson Fireplace Surround -...
Great Furniture Deal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™