Guidance on new tree purchase, please

idloveamochaJune 20, 2014

5 years ago, we purchased and planted an Autumn Blaze maple. It was a 30 gal. container, and the caliper was around 3".
Five years later, the 'vigorous grower' has grown a measly 5". Sure, I expected a few years of sub-par growth, but we discovered girdling roots this season. The tree has to go.

We want to replace it with another blaze. I refuse to buy another 'larger' caliper tree for fear of girdling roots.

We have two reputable nurseries in our area...and their stock is priced as such (expensive). Nursery #1 offers a 1" caliper in a 15 gallon container. Nursery #2 offers a 1.75" caliper B&B. Both are comparable in price.
I have never planted a B&B before...only container trees.

I've been reading up on the pros and cons of each, but I am still uncertain as to which way to go on this.

If you were in this situation, what would you do?

Note: I have even toyed with the idea of buying more of a whip, but I think my hubby would scoff. Plus, I am not sure where to buy reputable whips online.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

I'd always go with the smaller size :-) It is very well documented that smaller sized/younger trees establish faster than larger specimens and will typically catch up to them in size in a single growing season. As to the advantages or disadvantages of containerized trees versus B&B, both can have pluses or minuses. Nothing wrong with a containerized planting as long as you make sure no girdling roots and loosen the rootball as best you can before planting

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 3:04PM
More Discussions
Japanese Maples - first year care
Zone 7a - North Alabama Hello and first real post in...
Bama_Joe
Acer Griseum grafting
I have found a medium sized Acer Griseum on the side...
peat23
Central lead?
Had this tree planted in the fall and getting increasingly...
libratravel
split trunk on new japanese maple
Hi. With the snow and ice from this year our tree ,...
lkps
Will this graft take and I need to put a bag over it?
Two days ago I grafted a clipping from a Sugar Maple...
Timothy Wood
Sponsored Products
Dandy Pet Bed - FUCHSIA
$990.00 | Horchow
7.5-foot Feel-Real Northern Balsam Hinged Tree with 750 Clear Lights
Overstock.com
LumenArt | AWL.08 Wall Sconce
$330.00 | YLighting
Couristan Everest Hamptons Area Rug - Sage Multicolor - 0766/6398-3.11X3.11OCTAG
$129.00 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Area Rug: Anatolia Grey and Red 6' x 6' Round
Home Depot
AICO Furniture - Monte Carlo II 8 Piece California King Poster...
Great Furniture Deal
Orangeita Spa Pillow
$189.00 | FRONTGATE
Mason Aged Brass Eight-Light Chandelier with White Shade
Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™