Chances of survival?

steve_pc(6)June 27, 2013

I have been given a Japanese Maple that is well established but right next to a house inside a deck. The deck is being replaced due to storm damage and the owners have been told the contractors cannot/will not be able to leave it in situ.

The temps at the moment in SW Kansas are in the high 90's low 100's.

If I can get it out I can have it. My main concern is what are the chances of it surviving the transfer, or am I better off taking cuttings galore and trusting that the cuttings will survive in the heat?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

Any chance of a pic of both the tree and how much digging room you have inside that deck? If no pic, just how big is that "well established" tree?

tj

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 10:07PM
mmajicmann(5b)

before you answer that... i think you have nothing to lose by attempting to rescue the tree intact....and much to gain....extricate carefully...lotsa water! let us know :)

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 10:12AM
gardengal48

I agree. Nothing lost by attempting to move if the plant can't remain in place anyway.

Prepare new planting site before you do any digging. Take as large a rootball as humanly possible. If possible, do it late in the day (or on a cool, overcast day) and get it replanted ASAP. And of course, water, water, water!!

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 1:37PM
dwpc(8a - N Arizona)

A mature JM is a valuable tree; it may be worth hiring a backhoe to move it with supervision by a trained arborist. Call a local commercial nursery for advise.

Bookmark   July 7, 2013 at 6:00PM
More Discussions
Central lead?
Had this tree planted in the fall and getting increasingly...
libratravel
Eric's Weeping Japanese Maple
I was at Home Depot yesterday and got this Eric's Japanese...
Allan870
Japanese cultivars requiring the least sun (Zone 5)
Japanese Maple Cultivars Requiring The Least Amount...
directorrod
Burlapping maples - any dangers?
We had a very harsh winter last year and I lost a couple...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
help choosing a tree
I want to put a row of trees between my neighbor and...
bucks502
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™