Is it Dying?

mikeinmo(Z6 MO)June 16, 2007

I planted this Oshio Beni Maple two weeks ago and the leaves on the top are dying. Could it just be shock from transplanting it? The leaves on the bottom look good.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
myersphcf(z6a IL)

Been there done that..planted out Jm cultivar without getting it graduallty acclimated to sun ...sometimes it's hard when they come bare root or partial bare root ...really the best way is repot it and get it use to sun gradually before planting out ...Even with my experience i have had it happen this spring... the early stuff was fine cause it was outside before I got it the lter stuff is always under shade cloth by now ..I knew this but just forgot (DUH) ..your plant will be ok... after leaves are totally dry pull off only those ... it should releaf although maybe not til it cools ltr this summer. You made a very common mistake nothing to feel bad about ...David

Bookmark   June 16, 2007 at 4:53PM
myersphcf(z6a IL)

I might add this could also be cause some growers and distributors spray the trees with captain fungicide because of the prevelance of fungus diseases this time of year. Captain will wilt many types of leaves if the temps are above i believe 80 degrees ...it is a good fungicide but that is a real drawback ..I am not saying this was the cause or sun alone ...the above stays true either way. David

Bookmark   June 16, 2007 at 4:59PM
mikeinmo(Z6 MO)

Thanks David. I did keep the pot in the sun a few days before I planted it in the ground. It gets full sun until about 5 in the afternoon, then shade. This is my first attempt with a Japanese Maple. With what they cost, I don't want it dying on me.

Bookmark   June 16, 2007 at 6:29PM
More Discussions
Central lead?
Had this tree planted in the fall and getting increasingly...
libratravel
Over-wintering small Maples on a window sill
Het, Just wondering. Can you over-winter small maple...
Timothy Wood
acer palmatum
i live in hamilton ontario canada does anyone know...
mjoancam
Tamukeyama Japanese maple
What are the growing habits of this tree. Hight, weeping...
420benz
Planting a Sugar Maple seed.
Hello! I've got a beautiful Sugar Maple in my yard,...
Pippers
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™