Katsura Orange JM

staceybeth(7 MA)June 9, 2007

Hi All,

I just recieved a Katsura baby. Its about 20-24 inches high., however its growing "out".. meaning its kinda wide for a baby. (wishbone like)

How can I train it to grow upwards.. can i tie a string around the middle to bring the two branches a bit closer? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
staceybeth(7 MA)

Hi All,
I just recieved a Katsura baby. Its about 20-24 inches high., however its growing "out".. meaning its kinda wide for a baby. (wishbone like)

How can I train it to grow upwards.. can i tie a string around the middle to bring the two branches a bit closer? Thanks.

Bookmark   June 9, 2007 at 5:47PM
mattlwfowler

You could do that...but I think using stakes would be better. You may find (like I have with my 'katsura') that it will start to grow rather vigorous and upright. I also find that the most beautiful older japanese maples have wishbone like branching near the base. That's just my opinion though.

Bookmark   June 9, 2007 at 9:39PM
staceybeth(7 MA)

What size stakes.. and what do I use to tie the branches to the stakes?

I am going to Home Depot today so I need to know soon... thanks.

Bookmark   June 10, 2007 at 8:28AM
wwangatwork(7a, VA)

If the branches are really soft still, you may want to wait a year before staking it. I found that staking soft thin branches doesn't do much, and it keeps it from hardening as quickly. If it's long new shoots, give it a year, and it may surprise you. If it's still not to your liking on the new shoots, then stake.

If you're referring to slightly older branches, stake away! Or you could try bonsai training wire, which I haven't tried yet.

Warren

Bookmark   June 11, 2007 at 8:09AM
staceybeth(7 MA)

Thanks for the advise. I did have two thin coated wire stakes that I put in the pot about one inch from the endge of the pot on both side of the tree then took some gardening "training wire" which is a soft plastic coated wire and very loosely just attached each side of the tree to those stakes... just to keep in upright and somewhat center of the pot. The last thing I want to do is hurt this little baby. Do you thing this will harm it or not do anything for it.

Bookmark   June 11, 2007 at 10:12AM
More Discussions
Is this japanese maple dying?
I've have this young beni schichihenge for its first...
ledouchebag
Japanese cultivars requiring the least sun (Zone 5)
Japanese Maple Cultivars Requiring The Least Amount...
directorrod
Diffetences between the Autumn Blaze, Flame, and Fantasy?
In looking and reading on the WWW about different types...
Dmacsimus
Central lead?
Had this tree planted in the fall and getting increasingly...
libratravel
Mail order source for improved silver maples?
Greetings! Brand new to the forum. This spring, I'll...
arbordavein
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™