Grafting sugar maples

tcharles26(usa texas)June 28, 2007

I have a large big tooth maple (a. grandidentatum) , which is sometimes listed as a subspecies of sugar maple (a. sacchrum ssp. grandidentatum). It's a great tree for this part of the country. The standard sugar maple is not. I do not think there are any cultivated forms of the big tooth subspecies however.

Since it is purportedly a sugar maple I think I should be able to graft sugar maple scions onto big tooth understock. Has anyone heard of this or tried it? Am I correct in thinking it would make sugar maple clones more suitable for this region?

I like the 'apollo' variety of sugar maple. dwarf tree with huge full sized leaves. thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
conifers

If the root system is the problem with standard Acer saccharum in your part of the country then and only then would grafting be advantageous.

I know Acer truncatum is the one down there. Call your local extention and ask if I haven't already answered your question, or, find out the closest lineage, or find out how Sugar Maple is normally propagated and go from there. My guess is that it is propagated as a rooted cutting which in that case, you are working with an impossibility.

I just don't know Maples well enough. Acer truncatum I do know off hand is compatible with Acer platanoides which doesn't mean junk. Acer saccharum grows fantastically here in our very humid and high temperature summers. I can't remember at the moment if your summers are humid or whether arid. Well, I've said all I can.

Dax

Bookmark   July 1, 2007 at 11:03AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
conifers

Todd,

Be sure if you find compatibility (Acer rubrum was tested and the grafts eventually outgrow and various problems arise) ...that the growth rate is similar as well.

Dax

Bookmark   July 1, 2007 at 11:06AM
More Discussions
Over-wintering small Maples on a window sill
Het, Just wondering. Can you over-winter small maple...
Timothy Wood
Maple sap help
I don't know if this is the right forum for this, but...
paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
7-day season for maple sap?
Here in Southern Minnesota, had an unseasonable warm...
grovestead
Japanese Maple concerns
The tree has two main branches. Is that normal? Also...
420benz
Eric's Weeping Japanese Maple
I was at Home Depot yesterday and got this Eric's Japanese...
Allan870
Sponsored Products
Felco Bypass Pruning Saw - P95G V39060
$23.97 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™