Pumpkin Patch Pests

KsKent(z5b KS)May 30, 2006

I planted my first rows of pumpkins two weeks ago tomorrow. This morning I noticed turkeys in the patch for the first time. I counted 77 plants up about two inches in the first 7 rows. I noticed many damaged hulls in the seed bed. If I had 100% germination there should be about 1264 plant in those first seven rows. I have planted approximately 3600 seeds in 16 rows now, with the latest planted last Friday. The rows planted more recently show similar damage. I blame the turkeys, but there may be mice or voles helping them. What can I do? Is there some way to treat the seed or the seedbed to prevent this disaster? I have only planted about half of my seed. What should I do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ohiorganic(5/6 SW Ohio)

Put a fence up to keep the turkeys out and encourage snakes, birds of prey and other hunters to go after the voles. Mouse traps work okay too. You could put poisioned bait out for the rodents but if you have cats and dogs you will likely poison them if they hunt the poisoned vole/mice.

Bookmark   June 5, 2006 at 7:19AM
organic_nut

when is turkey hunting season. get some hunters over there to fix the problem legally. turkey hunters are all looking for a good spot to hunt.

Bookmark   June 24, 2006 at 5:51PM
barrie2m_

Pumpkins tend to grow out of this vulnerable stage within a few weeks. With that in mind you could spread a band of cheap corn or cereal grain around the edge of the area to feed the critters until your crop is growing well. Kansas is the corn state so there must be a farmer or mill nearby where you can purchace elevator screenings cheaply for this purpose.

We used to use this practice to keep hundreds of ring-necked pheasants from digging up newly planted corn in fields that were within city limits. Those were the days before Furidan came on the market for nematode control.

Bookmark   June 27, 2006 at 3:20PM
More Discussions
Pump recommendation for watering in greenhouse?
Hey everyone, We're looking to set up a large water...
secondspring
Growing ginger in northern areas
This is my first year growing ginger, I have 10 pounds...
mdfarmer
Farm Fan App
I ran across this today, any thoughts? http://about.farmfanapp.com/ Looks...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Tomatoes looking good!
I went "all in" and planted my big tomatoes...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Selling Tomato Plants?
We have a small produce farm, and we sell everything...
tawnyap1
Sponsored Products
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
Home Depot
Set of Four Custom Holiday Pupcake Bites
$19.50 | FRONTGATE
Burlap Pumpkin Wreath
$39.99 | zulily
Bow Bronze Pendant with Rosetta Pumpkin Glass
$204.60 | Bellacor
Hand-tufted Wool Rug (8' x 10')
Overstock.com