Gasp! It's March already - time to plan MAGTAG 2010

cecilia_md7a(7a/Baltimore,MD)March 1, 2010

With all the snow we've had here in the Mid-Atlantic, I can't believe that it's already March. I haven't even had time to start any seeds yet, since my DH plugged our new treadmill into the outlet where I usually plug the timer for my lights in the basement. He bought another extension cord this weekend, so it won't be long now. As a backup, I bought some plants from SSE and Burpee (need my Sungold fix!)

When I do start my seeds, I'm going to concentrate on the Mid-Atlantic varieties again - as you may recall, Scarab and Delmar never properly germinated. I also joined SSE (just to support them; I don't have the physical space to isolate plants and save seed). I notice that two growers are offering Maryland Large Red (from the SSE collection), and there is also a Maryland Pink (orignially from Chuck Wyatt), and a currant tomato that I'd never heard of called Tess's Land Race, which the offeror got from Baker Creek seeds and says "originated from Maryland's Southern Shore" - where would that be? I know we have an Eastern and Western shore.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gflynn(z7 MD)

Sounds good,

I just bought some inserts for my seed starting trays. I am pyched to start many, many tomato plants.

What fun it is!

Greg

Bookmark   March 4, 2010 at 2:25PM
cecilia_md7a(7a/Baltimore,MD)

I finally started some seeds on Saturday - I planted lots of Scarabs and DelMars, since they never germinated last year. I hope some sprout by next weekend so I can start more varieties (I only have one heat mat).

BTW, did anybody see the March issue of Martha Stewart Living? There's an article by Barbara Damrosch about a tomato tasting that she, Martha, Tim Stark (Heirloom: Notes from an Accidental Tomato Farmer), and two NY chefs attended, which was hosted by Amy Goldman (The Heirloom Tomato: From Garden to Table). They used printed cards to rate the varieties, but then there were only a few folks invited, so that procedure worked fine. Just like at MAGTAG, "Black Cherry" was a hit. I went online to see if I could email a letter to the editor mentioning MAGTAG, but Marthastewartdotcom doesn't seem to have any way to do this. Maybe Martha just doesn't want to listen to anybody's comments.

I did think it was sweet that Damrosch humbly referred to herself as "a farmer from Maine." Ya gotta love that gal.

Bookmark   March 8, 2010 at 9:25AM
gflynn(z7 MD)

I started most of my seeds this year between march 10th and 12th. I am starting to see some Sophie's Choice arrise as of this morning.

As always, I am sure this will be the best year yet!

Bookmark   March 16, 2010 at 4:35PM
manure_queen(md 7)

Cecelia WHEN???
Have a lot of stuff started. over 50 different varieties. I have both azoycha and azoychka They are not the same although fruits are very similar.. One has a more yellow leaf. At the seedling stage they are easily differentiated. I think 1 may decide to be potato leaf but cannot tell yet. MAry

Bookmark   March 26, 2010 at 6:43AM
More Discussions
Sweet Potatoes Curled
This was my first year trying to grow sweet potatoes....
freedomeagle
2015 Spring Swap Dates Survey
Here's the survey. For each of the dates you can put...
Larry Kahn
Ok, I've got this bird...
that by all glimpses and pictures, indicates it might...
CEFreeman_GW
Honeyberries in DC area?
Hi, I'm considering adding a few honeyberry plants...
zendog
Native Plant lectures in Baltimore area
Here is a link: http://www.bluewaterbaltimore.org/blog/2015nativeplantlectureseries/ I...
amanda_m
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™