Starting seeds for next year?

mean_74(4A)January 13, 2010

I am starting to think about next years garden and what to plant. I have community garden space this year in addition to my small urban garden. I will be starting plants from seed and am trying to more organized this year. Anyone else starting from seed? When do you start the seeds? what do you start? Do you stagger any of them?

Thanks,

Matt from Winona

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginkgonut(4)

Seed packets usually have instructions for the number of weeks to start before your targeted plant date outside keeping in mind your average last frost date. Some things could go out earlier that can tolerate a light frost. Others that like warm weather and soil (tomato, squash, etc) you may be better off waiting until the end of May. I direct sow a lot of my early vegetables such as spinach, lettuce and radishes. No year is ever the same so keeping an eye on the extended forecast is helpful.

Perhaps if you posted a list of things you intend to plant you could get some specific recommendations.

Bookmark   January 14, 2010 at 6:44AM
mean_74(4A)

We plan to start tomatoes, peppers, brocolli, thyme, basil, sage, and various cut flowers. Maybe some brussel sprouts and maybe some cantelope, watermelon and cucumbers.

Bookmark   January 14, 2010 at 8:53AM
kaptainkr(4a)

Last year I started tomatoes, some lettuce, herbs, cucumbers and watermelon from seed. I sprouted them on top of the fridge and then grew them under 4' shop lights. I also kept a fan blowing which I guess helps with damping off. One mistake I did was start my tomatoes too early. They got too big and some were even starting to flower. This year I'll wait a bit longer. People say that watermelons and cucumbers don't like transplanting, but I was careful and they didn't seem to mind. Now if only this summer we'll get some warmer weather. The U of M extension has a lot of good info for seed starting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed starting

Bookmark   January 14, 2010 at 2:13PM
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

Those of us winter sowing have already started sowing seeds in small greenhouse type containers made from recycled milk jugs, 2L soda bottles, and other containers and placing them outside to await sprouts in the spring.

Check out the wintersowing forum.

I start very few plants indoors anymore, much easier to sow and grow plants with the winter sowing method.

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Sowing Forum

Bookmark   January 14, 2010 at 2:18PM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

I have been thinking about what do order for my winter sowing.It is about that time. I usually wait until after the seed swap, but it doesn't look like one is happening this year.

Bookmark   January 16, 2010 at 12:35PM
garystpaul(4)

Don't know if this is of interest to anyone, but now is a good time to start delphiniums. Easy to germinate and grow (if you have fresh seed) and many will bloom first year from such an early sowing. Gary

Bookmark   January 23, 2010 at 12:09PM
More Discussions
Minnesota Apples
Photo shows what I harvested today from the orchard...
soilent_green
Garden Club in Northern Suburbs
Looking for a garden club. Would like to find a group...
doucanoe
Hop Vines at Local Nurseries?
Just wondering if anyone in Minnesota has come across...
soilent_green
Peach Trees in Minnesota
I've heard of some people successfully growing peach...
rkinsella
how late can I divide?
Hi all, Here's a question from your neighbor in North...
prairie_love
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™