Moles or Voles - how do we tell and then what?

selbybayMarch 6, 2006

Our yard is over run with some type of burrowing critters - the land is about a block from the bay and the soil is very sandy. We have not seen any of the animals, but our dogs (Westie terriers) are constantly digging at the tunnel entries - which there are many of. We are only there on weekends but would like to find a way to send these guys packing as the yard is becoming a maze of shallow tunnels. I read a few articles online and one suggestion is to put a metal barrier around your property to prevent tunnels - my thought was to run the fence perimeter (the recommendation is about 1 ft. in the ground and 6" above. Then begin trapping the Moles or Voles. The article was from a person living in the southwest US and I'm not sure if the same thing will work in the mid eastern bay area. Also his article is about moles and gophers - I don't know what we have, and I don't think there are gophers in our area - how do we tell if they are moles or voles?

Will appreciate any assistance.

Mike in Edgewater

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jlgreg(z6b MD)

I've had mole problems in my yard. I've used castor oil products and sonic mole repellent stakes. The castor oil only seemed to work a few weeks. The stakes seem to work the best, only you need a lot of them (I have 5 to cover .15 acres) and you have to replace the batteries frequently. Once the batteries get weak, the moles come right back.

Jean

Bookmark   March 6, 2006 at 10:47AM
More Discussions
Sweet Potatoes Curled
This was my first year trying to grow sweet potatoes....
freedomeagle
any luck with "Bangle Spanish Gorse"?
I saw this plant on Wayside recently, and it might...
trackmom
Anyone in the D.C. area want a small hoop house?
I'm in the D.C. area this week and have this to give...
elisa_z5
Bottle Trees & Evil Spirits
So I've been a busy bee this season. Thank goodness....
CEFreeman
Article on Rain Garden design
Hope this is the right forum: This Philadelphia landscaper...
jkom51
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™