Small native tree for dry corner

echalmers(6bMD)March 26, 2007

I'm looking to plant a small native tree or large shrub--around 12-15 feet max--in a corner of the yard that is pretty dry. The roots would be in shade (dry shade, the worst), but the treetop would get plenty of sun.

The oakleaf hydragea that is there now seemed to suffer in the summer, so I plan to move it. The huge old shrub rose on the other side of the fence, which I hardly ever watered, was spectacular all summer and had to be pruned several times.

I would love to have a smokebush, even if it isn't native, or a hammamelis virginiana. I also thought about putting in a productive tree. I did plant a (nonnative)crape myrtle a little further in, also a weeping crab and an amelanchier closer to the house.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spanaval

Some sort of dogwood - Cornus drummondii, or Cornus racemosa, maybe. Cotinus obovatus is a native smoketree, but would get too big for your spot. Redbuds generally stay compact, and Cercis canadensis is definitely a local native. Bush honeysuckle (Diervilla lonicera) is probably not big enough for what you have in mine. I am guessing that there has to be some sort of Holly or Viburnum that would do well in that type of situation as well.

Bookmark   March 26, 2007 at 4:01PM
johnfromperrycopa(zone 6 scPA)

What about going one step farther and try to find a "Covey" Weeping Redbud. They might be pricey!

Bookmark   March 27, 2007 at 6:03AM
gardengranma(6a/6b MD)

How about another craoe myrtle or a Japanese Maple? The second certainly not Native, but that would fit right in.

Bookmark   March 30, 2007 at 5:13PM
DWA in AZ Sunset zone 12(9a Tucson AZ)

What about ninebark? It is supposed to be pretty tough, and there are gold, blackish-purple, copper cultivars. Lots of discussion in shrubs forum...

Bookmark   April 6, 2007 at 3:40PM
beth_b_kodiak(zone 5a)

How about service berry, shadblow? It is lovely in the woods at this time of year. There are some varieties available in nurseries. A very graceful tree/shrub with white flowers and open enough that you can plant other things under it.

Bookmark   April 7, 2007 at 7:32AM
More Discussions
Raspberries or Blackberries for northern VA
Hi, Well I posted something about honeyberries and...
zendog
Best MD Shade Grass
Hi! Can anyone recommend the best shade grass for MD?...
Glenmonster
Jujuge Cuttings
For any jujube growers in the northern VA area, I have...
charlieboring
Flowers that will bloom by June 20th in Zone 7a?
Getting married June 20th and want to grow some of...
Morcar21
Bottle Trees & Evil Spirits
So I've been a busy bee this season. Thank goodness....
CEFreeman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™