Maple trees only blooming leaves at bottom of tree

mrswhittJune 11, 2013

We bought 4 maple trees in May of last year. These trees are 10 feet tall and were transplanted right away to our yard. This year they are ONLY leafing on the bottom trunk of the tree. The tops of the trees are bare. All of the other trees around us are leafing without a problem but we are only getting leaves on the bottom of the trees and they are coming in burgundy.

We are not sure what is wrong or what to do. Any answers will be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nurseryman33(4/5)

It doesn't sound good.You should be able to tell by now if the twigs and buds are green or if they are brittle and dead. Scratch some branches and see if there is green beneath the bark. Look closely at the buds and see if they are green. How did the trees look last summer and fall? Were they bare root, container, or balled and burlaped? Is there any damage on the trunks - maybe the rabbits got them.

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 10:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrswhitt

Balled and burlaped. The trees were full of leaves last summer and they turned beautiful colors in the fall. The buds are not green. We will definitely scratch the branches today. I will also upload a photo of what they look like. No damage to the trunks whatsoever. We had a very late snow storm (May 2) and before that the buds were starting to come out.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 7:11AM
More Discussions
Refreshing dirt in potted trees
Hi guys - I have 2 Japanese Maples in wine barrels....
minflick
Need help with struggling Jap Maple
CHeck out these pictures my Japanese maple isn't doing...
djiancharles
Acer palmatum 'Barbara'
Acer palmatum 'Barbara' is listed as a cultivar on...
directorrod
Japanese Maple scion wood
Hello, Have a lot of Maple seedlings Anybody wants...
korina77
Acer Griseum grafting
I have found a medium sized Acer Griseum on the side...
peat23
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™