Habanero peppers

cal_mario(9)May 20, 2013

Hello!
I grow peppers and other vegetables for markets and was tired of trying the regular non hybrid Habanero variety and getting very poor and slow results.I bought the Super hybrid Habanero and planted them about 7 weeks AFTER the regular kind.Just to show a comparison of the growing rate I took a picture.My opinion is its a waste time to plant the non hybrid Habanero its too slow growing during the cool months.

Mario

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cole_robbie(6)

Thanks for posting that. I will definitely try them next year.

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 6:47PM
kelise_m

I agree, hybrid peppers are definitely worth the extra seed money. I have a lot of conversations at market with people who are confusing hybrids and GMOs. I try to explain the difference and I try to explain the advantages of hybrids in some cases over open pollinated varieties. Then it gets really confusing when I tell them that the seeds they want to save from my open pollinated peppers (and squash) won't breed true because I grow so many varieties.

Beautiful peppers cal_mario! I'm just getting my hot ones in the ground (in a low tunnel) this week. Hopefully the sweet ones next week.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 9:39AM
2ajsmama

Market manager of new market emailed me confused about hybrids GMOs and chemicals. Took some explaining. I've never grown habs though have grown hots. They just don't sell around here. For some reason bells don't grow as we'll for me as chiles so I'm trying other sweets this year.

Nice plants -you should post pix on Hot Pepper forum tell everyone I said hi.

This post was edited by ajsmama on Thu, May 23, 13 at 5:21

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 11:38AM
myfamilysfarm

Sounds like you have a really informed market manager, enjoy teaching.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 1:11PM
2ajsmama

The guy's new and the market is only in its 3rd year. Run by committee for nonprofit, one of the committee members asked him to ask.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 4:37PM
cal_mario(9)

Thanks for your replies.The markets where I go to one is 90% Hispanic so peppers sell extremely well especially the super hots in fact Jalapeno's ,Fresno's.any of the milder ones don't sell as much this is just outside of the city of Fresno.I sell 3 packs and gallon containers mostly.The other Market is mixed customers but in the city on Sundays.I have been taking my Bhut Jolokia and Trinidad Maruga Scorpions and doing well so far.By now our veggie pack season is winding down so I am doing herbs and flowers too.
Mario

Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 1:47AM
More Discussions
Cash Rent for land
Quick question. I am looking for some ground to rent...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Mara des bois strawberry?
I have just discovered Mara des bois strawberry and...
cedar_wa
Tomato grafting
I've been thinking of trying it for a few years, and...
grow_life
Winter market 2015
Last week during the first winter thaw here I cut forsythia...
jebfarm
Herbs at market
I am going to be selling more of a variety of potted...
pryz123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™