Prices: tomato plants & annuals

Sgarden(z5 MI)May 5, 2005

This is my first year selling. How much do folks generally charge for tomato plants and annuals? I'd appreciate some feedback greatly!

thanks,

Sarah in Michigan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bkyleh(7/AR)

I pay $9/flat(36 plants) for tomato plants

Bookmark   May 5, 2005 at 8:28PM
robin_maine

$3/6 pack

Bookmark   May 6, 2005 at 5:56AM
Sue_in_Colorado(about 5)

Tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, strawberries & squashes in 2 1/2" pots: $1.25 each, mix & match 5 for $5.00.

Bookmark   May 6, 2005 at 9:27AM
stan_gardener(cen ca)

i use 16 oz plastic cups,$2.00 ea 3/$5.00.

Bookmark   May 6, 2005 at 12:41PM
kevinw1

I charge for 3 1/2 - 4" pots CN$2 (US$1.60) each, for gallon pots CN$5 (US$4) each (but they are not going very well at all at the moment). I also do cherry tomatoes in a 10" hanging basket for CN$8 (US$6.40).

Kevin
Powell River, BC, Canada

Bookmark   May 7, 2005 at 9:55PM
sunflowerstand(z6a MI)

Hello,
I live in Michigan, too. Last year was my first year selling plants. I researched quite a bit and found that $2.50 per tomato plant was a common price for market gardeners. We did very well charging that price with a discount for a flat of 12. We are selling heirlooms and growing organically. The tomatoes are grown in four inch pots and the vegetables and flowers are in flats of 18 (3 inch, I think)and charge $1.50 each. We are in an area with about fifty large greenhouse centers within 5-10 miles who sell their stuff much cheaper but don't do what we do. I don't know if you do organic or heirlooms, but when I was researching, I saw a lot of market people selling conventionally grown hybrid varieties for that price, too, who also said they did well. The personal touch and the customer liking and trusting the grower seemed to be the key. There also seems to be a magic number kinda of thing about pricing, I grew up working in a family retail business
and many people say that. $2.50 appears to be like that for tomatoes from what I can tell :)

Bookmark   May 11, 2005 at 10:27AM
Sgarden(z5 MI)

Thanks so much sunflowerstand. Yes, I do grow heirlooms and don't use any pesticides/herbicides, so when you put it that way, I do have something special to offer. I admit I have had a hard time with pricing and get a little worried about it. I'm also a one-person operation so the labor involved is intense, even for the small amount I grow.
Zone 6a in Michigan huh? I'm in Ann Arbor area so we are just a bit chillier, but not much.
thanks everyone for your advice.

Bookmark   May 13, 2005 at 3:56PM
More Discussions
Gotta do something to increase sales, stay in business
This year was the worst yet, I've been doing this since...
2ajsmama
Tomato grafting
I've been thinking of trying it for a few years, and...
grow_life
Hoss seeder
Anyone using a Hoss Seeder? Please post a review. Thanks...
whfpa
Cash Rent for land
Quick question. I am looking for some ground to rent...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Other farming forums???
Does anyone know of any other active farming/market...
rrleesb
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™