My First Japanese Maple in Colorado

tjchermackJune 4, 2008

I just planted my bloodgood. It's about 7 ft tall. This area gets morning sun, and is then in the shade from about 1 pm to 6 pm, and then the setting sun really brings out the colors.

This has been in the ground only for a few days now. I'm a little concerned about our winter winds, and I will likely build some kind of frame / wind screen to put around it over the winter time until I know if it is liking its space.

The other concern I have is about the soil. I did everything the nursery told me to, but I'm still a little worried about the possibility of the soil not draining well enough and drowning this beautiful tree. Any advice on the signs that the soil is too wet?

I have 2 related questions:

1) From what I have read, some are planting these somewhat above ground. The people at the nursery said not to do this. Any thoughts on this?

2) From the pics here, any suggestions or novice mistakes I have made?

You can check out the pics here:

http://gallery.mac.com/tjchermack#100026

Otherwise, this tree really gives the look I am going for in my garden and I think it is just beautiful! I really hope it works!!

Tom

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mattnova(6b)

I plant my maples in raised beds but in a cold zone such as yours, getting plenty of soil(several feet) horizontally around the tree would be best to make sure soil temp doesn't fluctuate too fast. You really couldn't build a raised bed in that location large enough for that JM.

I have concerns about drainage and root growth on that site. JM's don't grow tap roots, they produce a shallow root system near the first few feet of soil extended near the drip line. When that tree is mature, it would be about 20-25 feet tall and wide, it would struggle in that location I am thinking.

I am sure some other more experienced people can chime in with their opinion. I am fairly new to JM's so I might be a bit off with my assessment. Don't make any changes just yet, lets see what they say. It is a beautiful tree and location.

Bookmark   June 4, 2008 at 11:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
picea(6A Cinci- Oh)

I was told By an older maple expert that can gain some cold hardiness by spraying it with something like Wilt-Pruf. I have not seen any varification of this but it couldn't hurt. David

Bookmark   June 5, 2008 at 12:49PM
More Discussions
Japanese Maple scion wood
Hello, Have a lot of Maple seedlings Anybody wants...
korina77
Acer Griseum grafting
I have found a medium sized Acer Griseum on the side...
peat23
Species Acer Palmatum leaves turning red
I have a couple of species A.p. seedlings under lights...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
Tamukeyama Japanese maple
What are the growing habits of this tree. Hight, weeping...
420benz
Planting a Sugar Maple seed.
Hello! I've got a beautiful Sugar Maple in my yard,...
Pippers
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™