Problem with Crimson Queen Japanese maple

shelli563(zone 6 MA)June 7, 2014

I've had this maple for about 10 years. I bought it mature and had it at my prior house that was a zone warmer for about 6 years where it did very well. 4 years ago we successfully transplanted to a new house. It took a year to recover but was looking good the past 2 years. This winter was particularly cold and long. Tree budded mid May, mostly on the very bottom and random spots around the tree. Much of the tree has no leaves. It's heartbreaking to see, but not sure what to do except wait and see. I've posted some pics-- any thoughts or advice on what I can do to help it?

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cearbhaill

Not much you can do except remove the dead portions and wait. If there is not much viable growth left I would not be going in trying to shape it- it needs every leaf it has purely to sustain itself.
After a year or two of looking at it you can decide whether or not it is worth keeping.
I would certainly give it that amount of time, though, seeing as you have a sentimental attachment to it.

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 7:27AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RFinlay

I have a similar problem... am a newbie gardner so please forgive some of my incorrect comments if any...
My guy told me that the buds form in the fall for the next spring...because we had a harsh winter the buds were damaged and didn't continue the formation (growth) process in the spring.
Recommended solution: wait until weather is warm, test for dead branches (scratch green test) and trim away dead branches...then wait to see if it recovers.
Its a shame to see such a beautiful tree in rough shape but patience and trimming seems to be the answer

Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 10:39AM
More Discussions
Zone 5a and 4b Hardy Japanese Maple Cultivars
This past winter should be a good indicator as to what...
whaas_5a
Burlapping maples - any dangers?
We had a very harsh winter last year and I lost a couple...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
Tamukeyama Japanese maple
What are the growing habits of this tree. Hight, weeping...
420benz
Refreshing dirt in potted trees
Hi guys - I have 2 Japanese Maples in wine barrels....
minflick
Japanese cultivars requiring the least sun (Zone 5)
Japanese Maple Cultivars Requiring The Least Amount...
directorrod
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™