maple dead branches, prunning, frost, spring

mitsys_heartJune 10, 2009

I planted a this maple 2 years ago. Not sure of type. I bought this tree because it said on tag >> in the fall the leaves would be red in color. 1st year covered tree through winter. No problems. 2nd year I believed it was more hearty so, did not cover through winter. This Spring 2009 the tops of all branches were dead and brittle. New foilage has appeared and is healthy. I waited for a month to see if they would come back, which they did not.. In which I pruned each individual branch. MY QUESTION >> This coming 2009 winter should I cover the tree from the elements? It is only approx. 5ft tall or less. Also, was I correct to prune all the dead and brittle branches to the base of the first junction of the tree >> from top and down? I also, had alot of suckers at the base of tree of ground level >> which I prunned them off also. Any input is appreciated

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaydye

In my opinion you did everything you should have done. I am facing the same thing with a few of mine. It was a rough winter and spring, some of mine that died back had been in the ground years.

If it's a five foot tree and still looks like a tree after pruning (I have issues with keeping trees that look gross due to whatever:)) you could wrap it or spray with WiltPruf or both. Japanese maples are harder to grow for those of us in zone 5. I usually wrap mine until they are too big to wrap with floating row cover. Hope this helps.
Kay

Bookmark   June 12, 2009 at 7:28AM
More Discussions
Over-wintering small Maples on a window sill
Het, Just wondering. Can you over-winter small maple...
Timothy Wood
Refreshing dirt in potted trees
Hi guys - I have 2 Japanese Maples in wine barrels....
minflick
Central lead?
Had this tree planted in the fall and getting increasingly...
libratravel
Japanese maple tree identification
Hi, I got this Japanese Maple from an arbor day giveaway...
iluv2knit
Need help with struggling Jap Maple
CHeck out these pictures my Japanese maple isn't doing...
djiancharles
Sponsored Products
Rimella Table Lamp
Overstock.com
Jonathan Adler | Parker Buffet Table Lamp
$264.00 | YLighting
Thomas Branch Details Red Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Mosaic Tile: Solistone Flooring Atlantis Marina Light 11.75 in. x 11.75 in. x
$24.00 | Home Depot
Ore International Hanger & Shoe Stand Entry Organizer - N3011-WH
$99.97 | Hayneedle