bending branches to the ground

benjoe(7)June 16, 2009

I was wondering if you bend all the branches down to the ground, what would be the final outcome? I just got some 2 year old seedling Japanese maples and i pegged down the lowest branches to get a very wide tree eventually.

Has anyone ever tried this before, what were your outcomes?

Thanks,

Ben

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kjskjs

It depends on the seedling. You can't really force a naturally upright tree into a weeping form. But there are many low wide cultivars available to buy. It doesn't hurt to experiment though.

Bookmark   June 17, 2009 at 8:53AM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

Well, if you bend them into the ground, they may root ;-). If the tendancy is to grow up, even after hardening a branch off in a weeping/spreading position, the new growth will still want to go up. But, like kjskjs said, go ahead and try it (and show us the pics if you like the results).

tj

Bookmark   June 17, 2009 at 8:17PM
benjoe(7)

i realize that it will not turn into a weeping variety, i am just trying to achieve a very wide tree and was wondering f there s anything that need to be careful with, or something i shouldn't do. the branches are laying on the ground, i used a old metal hanger and cut it to make "staples" that i pegged it right down to the ground, i just wish they grew faster so i had more to do. i will try to take pictures tomorrow. I'm not sure if i can get them onto the computer tomorrow too but ll post them soon. thanks

Bookmark   June 19, 2009 at 12:18AM
More Discussions
Burlapping maples - any dangers?
We had a very harsh winter last year and I lost a couple...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
Japanese Maple scion wood
Hello, Have a lot of Maple seedlings Anybody wants...
korina77
Zone 5a and 4b Hardy Japanese Maple Cultivars
This past winter should be a good indicator as to what...
whaas_5a
Eric's Weeping Japanese Maple
I was at Home Depot yesterday and got this Eric's Japanese...
Allan870
October Glory/ Sun Valley Maple growth habit question/input pls
Hello everyone. I am in a bit of a spot. I want a nice...
RGodman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™