Speaking against equality

don_socalMarch 29, 2013

A preacher speaks to Springfield, Mo., there's an ongoing legislative battle to add LGBTQ folks to the equal rights laws in the city. Listen to the end.

Here is a link that might be useful: Watch A Preacher Attack Gay Marriage And Totally Change His Mind On The Spot

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tobr24u(z6 RI)

Brilliant! A great use of the the past against the present that deserves a wider audience...

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 5:00AM
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Interesting tactic, to say the least! but judging from the expressions of the people behind him, I don't think most of them caught what was going on. Hopefully the lawmakers are quicker on the uptake. Or maybe it is an issue of whether anybody is actually listening or not. Hmmmm.

Kate

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 6:23AM
rob333

He doesn't "change his mind". But I love what he did!!!! Totally cool. Good way to title the headline to get people to look at. Smart web administrators. Love it, love it, love it!

You're right Kate, but I consider those idiots the ones who want to keep rights from the Gay community. The rest of us are smart enough to understand.
:)

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 7:54AM
esh_ga

I saw that when it came out last year. Still cool!

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 8:26AM
jodik_gw

Well, I managed to get a monitor that works, but there is no sound on board... can someone please paraphrase what was said for me?

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 8:33AM
rob333

Sure. He's reading from notes saying that being gay and supporting gay rights are clearly against "God's laws and we're going to bring his anger..." (totally paraphrasing) blah blah blah and then he pretends to misspeak himself and says "of segregation..." stumbles some more and then announces that he's "seems to have brought the wrong notes from the wrong century" still flustered, until he says what he really came to say:

"These are direct quotes from white preachers in the 1950s and the 1960s all in support of racial segregation. All I have done is simply take out the phrase racial segregation and substituted with it the phrase gay rights. I guess the arguments I've been hearing around Springfield are so similar to these, that I've gotten them confused. I hope you will not make the same mistake. I hope you will stand on the right side of history."

This post was edited by rob333 on Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 8:52

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 8:51AM
jodik_gw

Sweet... thanks, Robin!

Isn't it odd that society just trades one fear for another as the decades move forward...

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 10:15AM
marshallz10(z9-10 CA)

Great theater!

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 10:49AM
marquest(z5 PA)

Yes that was good. It seems like a recipe for all issues. Put a dash of Bible, a cup of Liberal, two cups of Fear, and sprinkle heavily with Rights.

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 11:01AM
ohiomom

Isn't it odd that society just trades one fear for another as the decades move forward..

Bingo!

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 11:13AM
More Discussions
The problem with salvation
A christian need only believe in jesus,..that he was...
asleep_in_the_garden
Donald Trump to launch exploratory committee
because... "the only one who can make America...
duluthinbloomz4
Teddy Cruz for Prez!
Looks like his hat is in the ring, hopefully it's the...
vgkg
#TedCruzCampaignSlogans
Top Trending Topic on Twitter Come on, Vgkg! This is...
enmc
Oil Rises as Gulf Allies Strike Yemen
Should Yemen be any part of the Nuclear negotiations...
labrea_gw
Sponsored Products
Gray & Bone Malia Indoor/Outdoor Rug
$34.99 | zulily
9' Octagon Market Royal Color Polyester Umbrella w/Hardwood Pole, Manual Lift, a
Fifthroom.com
Gretna Yellow Armchair
$1,089.00 | Horchow
Justice Design Group FAL-8703 - Aero 3 Light Bath Bar - Oval Shade - Brushed Nic
$320.00 | Hayneedle
Pillow Perfect Santa Maria 18.5-inch Outdoor Throw Pillows (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Black 'Hell Yeah' Box Sign
$21.99 | zulily
SomerTile 7.75x7.75-inch Renaissance Memory Ceramic Floor and Wall Tile (Case of
Overstock.com
Designers Fountain 6623 Venetian 3 Light Bath Bar in Chrome Finish - 6623-CH
$167.50 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™