Sick Maples

akay56(5b)June 15, 2013

I just bought my house a few months ago and was very much looking forward to enjoying my beautiful yard. My problem started with my maple trees, they have black spots on the leaves and leaves are dropping already. I thought it was just going to be my maple trees but now my strawberry and tomato plants have brown spots and my yellow roses have red spots all over them. It seems my entire yard my be infected. What do I do? This is my first home and gardening is new to me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
akay56(5b)

I think it might be anthracnose. But how do I treat my entire yard. My trees are very tall.

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 11:03PM
gardengal48

Black spots on maple leaves are most often associated with tar spot, a fungal issue. Although it may result in some early leaf drop, it is generally not something that requires any treatment. Just clean up and dispose of any fallen leaves as the fungal spores can harbor on them over winter.

Plant diseases are usually very host-specific - what is happening to your maples has no relationship to the other plants. The weather much of the country has experienced this spring has encouraged the development of a lot of fungal issues, some that should be treated and others than can be ignored. If you post photos of the problems, a correct diagnosis of the disease can usually be deteremined and then treatment - if any - suggested. Try the Pests and Diseases forum for quick results.

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 1:32PM
akay56(5b)

Thank you, I will try to post pictures tomorrow.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 7:42PM
More Discussions
split trunk on new japanese maple
Hi. With the snow and ice from this year our tree ,...
lkps
Kashima maple pruning
First off, I'm new to this forum so hello to everyone!...
Justin
Refreshing dirt in potted trees
Hi guys - I have 2 Japanese Maples in wine barrels....
minflick
Hello Folks. The journey begins.
Big hello to you all. I have just moved to lovely property...
mapleface
Acer Griseum grafting
I have found a medium sized Acer Griseum on the side...
peat23
Sponsored Products
Vintage Maple Chest
Fifthroom.com
Farmhouse Dining Table
$969.99 | zulily
Skram | Lineground Side Table/Nightstand #1
YLiving.com
Boomerang Coffee Table in Walnut
$699.99 | Dot & Bo
52" Kichler Kittery Point Polished Nickel Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus