North Texas acer palmatum

dogwind(Z8a TX)June 5, 2007

My acer palmatum has finally found it's permanent home in my backyard, close to the house, with a southern exposure. It gets morning and midday sun until about 4 PM, when it gets shade from the hottest part of the day. It's about 4 feet tall and wide. Another home in my neighborhood has the largest acer p I've ever seen, probably 20 feet tall, and the top of it reaches above the roof line of the house, where it appears to receive more sunlight. The leaves at the top of my neighbor's tree have more of a reddish color than the other leaves. It gradually fades back to pure lime green at the bottom - a gorgeous tree! I figured this was because of the difference in the sunlight the top of the tree receives, but I've never seen an acer p do this (have different colors of leaves at the end of spring). Is this an adaptation? Will my acer p change color over time to better adjust itself to its southern exposure? TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nobreyner(z9 Houston)

The red leaves at the top is new growth. As the leaves mature the turn maroon then will turn green if in the shade or covered by other leaves. It will stay maroon if in the sun.

Bookmark   June 6, 2007 at 7:06AM
More Discussions
Is this japanese maple dying?
I've have this young beni schichihenge for its first...
ledouchebag
Refreshing dirt in potted trees
Hi guys - I have 2 Japanese Maples in wine barrels....
minflick
help choosing a tree
I want to put a row of trees between my neighbor and...
bucks502
Acer Rubrum Redpointe - Pictures Anyone???
Was originally looking to get a Autumn Blaze but read...
sam268
Central lead?
Had this tree planted in the fall and getting increasingly...
libratravel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™