aren't these all really just variations of the same tree..?

hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)June 13, 2013

Acer saccharum
Acer nigrum
Acer barbatum (aka Acer floridanum)
Acer grandidentatum
Acer leucoderme

I don't really understand species naming tradition, but compare the "Sugars" to their generic cousin, Acer rubrum.

It's widely acknowledged that lots of genetic variability exists among the rubrums...why not the saccharums? Why is rubrum just "rubrum" (well, except spp. drummondii) whereas the sugar maples are usually divided into 5 (or more, did I forget any?) species?

As a side note, I've read that the 'Caddo' ecotype is technically a barbatum...is that true as well?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

These have more differences between them than are recognized within red maple. For the most part, if you've seen one red maple you've seen them all - it's pretty uniform, apart from fall leaf color variations etc.

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 2:45PM
arktrees(6b NW Arkansas)

Most people think science is always definitive, and expect to get a definite answer. That is not always the case. We know far more about cholesterol now than we did in the 70's, when the mantra was avoid all cholesterol. Now we know there are beneficial as well as much more harmful forms. However most people do not realize this is because of the learning and correction process has continued and still continues. As for the trees in your example, there is the added complication that the classification into species is purely artificial. The plants don't care. Plus speciation is a process that can go either way at a particular time. Therefore the "lines" are not always clear cut, as in the case of the Sugar Maple group. Often the answer you will get as to their species status will depend upon who you ask. Some will be "lumpers" and lump them all together into a single species with sub-species. Others will be "splitters" and consider them all as distinct species. For our purposes, use whichever you prefer, although considering them separate species could help with identification in the nursery trade. And FYI, a similar circumstance exist for many redbuds.

Arktrees

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 10:53AM
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

I did see a tree this weekend at the Maryland Zoo. I snapped a pic on my smartphone but it didn't turn out very clear.

The leaves are sugar-maple like, but slightly smaller. The samaras are a tad larger than an A. saccharum, and slightly wider of an angle, but nothing near A. platanoides.

The tree is smallish, but not particularly young. Almost looks like an A. campestre but again, the leaves and samaras are wrong.

Any guesses?

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 10:54PM
More Discussions
Need help with struggling Jap Maple
CHeck out these pictures my Japanese maple isn't doing...
djiancharles
Eric's Weeping Japanese Maple
I was at Home Depot yesterday and got this Eric's Japanese...
Allan870
Over-wintering small Maples on a window sill
Het, Just wondering. Can you over-winter small maple...
Timothy Wood
October Glory/ Sun Valley Maple growth habit question/input pls
Hello everyone. I am in a bit of a spot. I want a nice...
RGodman
Is this japanese maple dying?
I've have this young beni schichihenge for its first...
ledouchebag
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™