Shwedler Maple

ladybuggyJune 17, 2008

Hi,

I am considering purchasing a shwedler maple for my yard. Is a shwedler a type of norway maple? My yard is a subdivsion yard, approx 50x65 feet deep so it's not very large. Will this tree eventually outgrow my yard?

Also, I should mention that we are having an inground pool installed, however, the tree would be at the opposite end of the pool.

Is this tree a bad choice for my yard?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

If you are sure you want a purple Norway maple buy a more recent cultivar with a good purple color. 'Schwedleri' has leaves opening purple and then going nearly green. It is also an old enough name to be used in practice broadly, for more than one introduction so what you may be sold under this name may differ somewhat from what you may read about.

And like most Norway maples it produces a large dense tree tending to end up with bare ground beneath. In my mild zone this cold winter climate species may also become infested with aphids during the dry weather of summer, their secretions making it look as though oiled. Objects and surfaces beneath can be expected to become similarly coated, and may grow sooty mold fungus.

Perhaps the main objection to planting Norway maples in North America is that this is an invasive pest species here, with more than a few sites having becoming flooded with its progeny.

Other commonly offered purple-leaved trees are 'Forest Pansy' redbud, purple European beech, purple-leaved plum and purple-leaved chokecherry. The last has the possible advantage of being a North American native, adapted to continental climates (you don't say what region you are in).

Bookmark   June 18, 2008 at 3:31PM
ladybuggy

Thank you for your advice. I am in Ontario, Canada...Zone 6. I am looking for a nice maple tree that will give me privacy and shade, however, not take over my yard in 10 years. Our local tree farm has some fairly nice large Shwedler maples I was considering purchasing. I've been doing some research on the trees and am a bit concerned that it may grow too large for my yard.

Bookmark   June 18, 2008 at 10:41PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

One in Grimsby, Ontario was 62' tall with a trunk 11' around during 1974.

Bookmark   June 19, 2008 at 2:16PM
More Discussions
Need help with struggling Jap Maple
CHeck out these pictures my Japanese maple isn't doing...
djiancharles
help choosing a tree
I want to put a row of trees between my neighbor and...
bucks5022004
split trunk on new japanese maple
Hi. With the snow and ice from this year our tree ,...
lkps
Hello Folks. The journey begins.
Big hello to you all. I have just moved to lovely property...
mapleface
7-day season for maple sap?
Here in Southern Minnesota, had an unseasonable warm...
grovestead
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™