Crimson Queen - waterfall or vertical?

madtripper(5/6 Guelph)June 18, 2007

I was looking at Crimson Queen today. They had two rows of them. One row contained plants that were very vertical with horizontal branches near the top of hte stem. The second row was shorter, and branches were weeping.

Is this difference due ot pruning techniques?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mattlwfowler

It is most likely due to a combination of pruning and training/staking, and possibly due to nutrient supply and other environmental issues. If I had to guess, I would say that the two different types came from different growers which would explain a slightly different habit.

Generally vigorous plants show more weeping characteristics than nutrient deprived specimens since the weight of the long new shoots causes the pendulous nature ('Crimson queen' is usually a bit more compact and doesn't show as much of this variability as say 'tamukeyama' IMO). If the two plants were planted in the ground at your house and given the same training and nutrient supply, they would eventually start to mirror each other on the outside.

You will have a large amount of control over what type of outer branching you have after a couple of years under your care. You can't, however, change the interior limb structure very much which is usually the most important part to the trees beauty. This should be the primary factor when choosing between different plants of the same cultivar in my opinion (especially weepers).

Bookmark   June 18, 2007 at 11:22PM
More Discussions
Acer Rubrum Redpointe - Pictures Anyone???
Was originally looking to get a Autumn Blaze but read...
sam268
Has anyone ordered a Jap. Maple online
Looking for a lace leaf japanese maple around 3 Gal....
420benz
Acer Griseum grafting
I have found a medium sized Acer Griseum on the side...
peat23
Is this japanese maple dying?
I've have this young beni schichihenge for its first...
ledouchebag
Species Acer Palmatum leaves turning red
I have a couple of species A.p. seedlings under lights...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™