Where are you on your winter sowing?

zenpotter(z4 MN)February 13, 2006

So far I have 63 gal containers with 58 types of seed. I am not proposing anything like a running count I am just wondering where people are. I am awaiting some seeds that I ordered from J.L. Hudson and then I will be done.

(If I even have 50% germination I will have way too many plants).

Pauline

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leaveswave(.)

Wow, that's amazing! I'd love to see a picture of your containers all lined up, waiting for life to spring forth.

I'm pushing the envelope of laziness--I did all my sowing directly on the ground in late fall. I, too, will have too many plants if even a half of them grow. Sounds like grounds for a spring plant swap to me!

Bookmark   February 13, 2006 at 10:22AM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

Guess I will have to get out there with the camera. I do believe we will need that spring plant swap, I could even see myself volunteering to have it here. I will just have to bring a lot and leave with a few choice plants.

Pauline

Bookmark   February 13, 2006 at 10:30AM
tammymn(Z4MN)

I have 60 1 gallon milk/water jugs winter sowed. I also have 80 cups or misc containers in flats planted. Then for the heck of it I bought 2 jiffy dome containers that had 75 pellets in each. I planted the flat with numerous different seeds on 2/10/06. Tonight I got home from work and 1 inch tall was Amaranth love lies bleeding, Calaundas 1/2 in tall, and gazanias just sprouting. In a panic I called Julie and got some advice on what to do now. Who would of thought 4 days 1 inch tall in a cheap jiffy container. Julies advise when they get to big for the container take them out and re-pot or put in a front of a sunny window. I don't do the indoor lights so need creative options. Thanks

Bookmark   February 14, 2006 at 9:30PM
julie_mn(z4 MN Henn)

For WS- my next (and hopefully last) big push will be happening throughout this week- I have made the mini labels to put into each container and will start filling containers each evening till it is done. I have over 60 large containers sown and then about 150+ styro cups in covered party trays out already-
Um- I hate to admit it but- I will have more containers to put out in March to spring sow.
I am trying to do less inside this year..... Which I will also be starting (late)this week. I am starting all much later this year that last- but I still hope to have some good sized plants come end of May.
I plan to put the coldframes to use to help speed things along.
Julie

Bookmark   February 15, 2006 at 9:16AM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

Way to go Julie and tammymn. I have 12 more packages of seeds to come in the mail and then I hope to be done. That is unless I find something I just have to have at the Native Plant Expo this weekend.

Pauline

Bookmark   February 15, 2006 at 9:37AM
More Discussions
apple trees
What should you do to keep apples from insects when...
andrew414141
Looking for narrow shrub that can handle part shade and dry soil
Hello, My husband and I have a privacy screen made...
brian_forney
Late Summer Garden Swap???
Anyone interested in a late summer/early autumn garden...
KittyWitty
What vegetables can I still plant from seed as of mid-August?
I just cleaned out the last broccoli, turnip, and cabbage...
nick_b79
Garden Club in Northern Suburbs
Looking for a garden club. Would like to find a group...
doucanoe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™