Video of my Plastic Mulch Layer

jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)May 7, 2013

I finally finished up my mulch layer enough to use tonight. I still have some bugs to work out, but I am happy to lay over 800 feet of plastic in no time at all. I need to work on the drip attachment, I was running it too deep. Also, I need to till everything before I try to use it again. I think I will be happier with the results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF7gHcKWaMA

I am pulling it with my Kubota B7100. I am laying 3 foot plastic. My tractor is a little light on the front end, really wish I had a loader out there to counter balance the mulch layer. Also, all my land is on a slope, it causes my tractor to slide down the hill. That makes it hard to keep it straight. This is a relative flat area, so it doesn't show as much.

Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: Mulch layer

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy41_1

that looks real good. are your front tires fluid filled? can you put suitcase weights on the front?

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 8:04AM
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)

Randy:

I don't have fluid in the front tires. I don't want to always have that much weight on the front because I also use this tractor to mow the yard with and when I turn they would probably dig in more than I would like. I also don't want to get turf tires.

I do want to build a better bracket on the front and add some suitcase weights. The prior owner hung a weight off the front with a single bolt. I am still using this, but it needs to be doubled or tripled.

Jay

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 11:59AM
henhousefarms

Looks like you've got it dialed in pretty close - works good. I have to admit that I have never been able to get ours to work well on sloping ground - it wants to shift around too much. Think it may be a design flaw on my part but have plenty of flat ground where it works well.

Tom

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 12:37PM
Rio_Grande

Looks good Jay. I hope mine works that good. I hope mine will be finished by first of next week. It is still wet here. Hopefully it will dry up enough to get some testing in early next week. I have a raised bed shaper on mine.

I am trying to set my wheels now. I will have the ability to turn mine inboard. Do yours tilt as well? Looks like they are mounted solid.

Few little details that are driving me nuts.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 11:31PM
kelise_m

Very nice!

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 11:35PM
More Discussions
Bed Shaper
Quick question, does anyone use a bed shaper? I am...
surplus
Normally I have a restaurant that buys 150 lbs/week...
brookw_gw
Question about greenhouse ventilation
Hey all, We have a 30' x 48' gothic greenhouse with...
secondspring
Winter markets, going better?
We had another winter market last Saturday. Due to...
Selling Tomato Plants?
We have a small produce farm, and we sell everything...
tawnyap1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™