Garlic

chillyinmn(3)February 22, 2006

Any one here planting garlic this SPRING? If so when are you putting it in?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leaveswave(.)

chilly..., I planted mine last fall cuz I read that it gets bigger with a fall planting. If you want to give it a try, I'd wait only until you think you're past a hard freeze. Good luck, it's fun to grow your own. I'm going to try to harvest the scapes before they get too large this year. I hear they make great pesto.

"Time of planting is critical since both optimum shoot and bulb development require a cold treatment. Garlic in Minnesota should be planted in the fall - usually within one to two weeks after the first killing frost (32 degrees Fahrenheit). In northern Minnesota, planting during the third to fourth week of September is recommended, while in southern Minnesota planting around the first or second week of October is recommended. Ideally, roots should be developing and shoots should be emerging from the clove but not above the soil at the time of the first hard freeze (28 degrees Fahrenheit). Garlic shoots will emerge from the ground in late March or early April. Unless given a proper cold treatment prior to planting, garlic planted in the spring will often produce weak shoots and poorly developed bulbs. Lack of scape development in hardneck garlic and bulbing in all garlic is usually due to an inadequate cold treatment. (more...)"

Bookmark   February 23, 2006 at 9:00AM
leftwood(z4a MN)

Hmmm. Scapes and pesto: for the benefit of others, be sure you pick them young. They get woody quite quickly. Even pureéd wood, I don't think, would be too appetizing.

Bookmark   February 23, 2006 at 6:41PM
leaveswave(.)

Exactly. I got to them too late last year. I did taste them before going through elaborate preparations, though. My loss was the compost pile's gain! lol

Bookmark   February 23, 2006 at 9:00PM
More Discussions
Help ID'ing blue flowers
Some of you may remember my neighbor, Sara, who was...
jel48
Sharing this link - good cold zones only apple pollinations chart
Hello, Those of you up here in zone 4 know it can be...
timmytwo
apple trees
What should you do to keep apples from insects when...
andrew414141
Tips for Growing beets?
I've tried growing beets for 3 years now, every year...
srj19
Any Minnesotans out there?
These posts r so old! Is there anyone out there ready...
dreamingofmygardens
Sponsored Products
Bamboo Grinding Bowl & Pestle - Mandarin
$22.99 | Dot & Bo
Stainless Steel Garlic Press
Overstock.com
24-oz. Brie en Croute - MUSHROOM/GARLIC
$65.00 | Horchow
Boston Warehouse Angelfish Colander - 35498
$16.99 | Hayneedle
Garlic Roaster
$8.99 | zulily