Coco Liner in Cedar Planter

itsjulieJuly 15, 2008

Ok, I planted my Fireglow in a cedar planter. I used Monrovia potting soil, recommended by a nursery that has rows and rows of gorgeous japanase maple trees. I lined the bottom of the planter with coco liner to keep the dirt from escaping through the drainage holes.

Do you think I messed this up? I'm concerned about the drainage. I'm going to buy a soil meter to keep tabs on the moisture level of my JM's (Shaina, Waterfall & Fireglow). Also, any recommendations for soil meters?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mattnova(6b)

I am thinking coco liner wasn't the best choice. Keep a close eye on drainage. If you can puncture a few holes in the bottom somehow without damaging the roots much I would do so.

For future reference you might try what I do which I learned from Al. I buy the semi- fine mesh screen that is used for window screening, etc. It comes in rolls at home depot for about 6 bucks. Allows good drainage but keeps the soil in.

Matt

Bookmark   July 15, 2008 at 12:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
itsjulie

Well I can't poke holes in the bottom, but I'm definitely getting drainage. It's slow drainage though because it's still wet underneath 12 hours after its first watering. I got a moisture meter for $5.00 and I love that thing! If this tree doesn't make it, definitely I'm doing screen instead of coco liner.

Bookmark   July 16, 2008 at 9:33PM
More Discussions
help choosing a tree
I want to put a row of trees between my neighbor and...
bucks5022004
Need help identifying a mislabeled JM
This Japanese Maple I bought was labeled Aconitifolium....
krisgm
Will this graft take and I need to put a bag over it?
Two days ago I grafted a clipping from a Sugar Maple...
Timothy Wood
Japanese maple tree identification
Hi, I got this Japanese Maple from an arbor day giveaway...
iluv2knit
Maple sap help
I don't know if this is the right forum for this, but...
paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™