Need advice on Threadleaf JM varieties

shelli563(zone 6 MA)July 26, 2008

I am landscaping an area in my front yard about 8x8 feet. My front yard is elevated from the sidewalk and retained by a 3' tall fieldstone wall. The area gets about 5 hours of morning/afternoon sun. I want to plant a JM as a focal point, and I was thinking of a 'Garnet' or 'Crimson Queen'. Looking at the spot from the street, the area calls for a tree that is about 5ft tall and wide.

Unfortunately, the trees in that size are out of my price range, so I found ones that were about 3-4' tall, but somewhat sparse in branches. How much growth can I expect in the threadleaf varieties? Is it possible to plant the tree in a large containter above ground for a few years until it gets larger? I live in zone 5/6, we get a good amount of snow and cold!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alley_cat_gw

Shelli, If your tree is already 3 or 4' tall it will get larger, faster planted in the ground and mulched in. A small little one gallon may be a different story!
Also if you get a "good amount of snow and cold" it would do better planted out unless you plan on moving your potted tree to a safe location to ride out the winter.
Early fall is a great time to plant out trees.
Good luck
AL

Bookmark   July 28, 2008 at 8:53AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dongenesis

I live in a zone 10 (Florida).I know I can Grow a red japanese maple here! BUT! How can I make sure my maple goes into DORMANT mode!lol. Here it begins to get hot around November and it doesnt last to long! If anyone can give me a hand with this question it will be appreciet it!Im new with maples so I need as much help as possible! thanks!

Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 2:49PM
More Discussions
Best Mail Order Nurseries for Japanese Maples
I would like to order a few Japanese Maple trees but...
alameda/zone 8
Species Acer Palmatum leaves turning red
I have a couple of species A.p. seedlings under lights...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
Central lead?
Had this tree planted in the fall and getting increasingly...
libratravel
Central lead?
Had this tree planted in the fall and getting increasingly...
libratravel
Refreshing dirt in potted trees
Hi guys - I have 2 Japanese Maples in wine barrels....
minflick
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™