Need advice on Threadleaf JM varieties

shelli563(zone 6 MA)July 26, 2008

I am landscaping an area in my front yard about 8x8 feet. My front yard is elevated from the sidewalk and retained by a 3' tall fieldstone wall. The area gets about 5 hours of morning/afternoon sun. I want to plant a JM as a focal point, and I was thinking of a 'Garnet' or 'Crimson Queen'. Looking at the spot from the street, the area calls for a tree that is about 5ft tall and wide.

Unfortunately, the trees in that size are out of my price range, so I found ones that were about 3-4' tall, but somewhat sparse in branches. How much growth can I expect in the threadleaf varieties? Is it possible to plant the tree in a large containter above ground for a few years until it gets larger? I live in zone 5/6, we get a good amount of snow and cold!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alley_cat_gw

Shelli, If your tree is already 3 or 4' tall it will get larger, faster planted in the ground and mulched in. A small little one gallon may be a different story!
Also if you get a "good amount of snow and cold" it would do better planted out unless you plan on moving your potted tree to a safe location to ride out the winter.
Early fall is a great time to plant out trees.
Good luck
AL

Bookmark   July 28, 2008 at 8:53AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dongenesis

I live in a zone 10 (Florida).I know I can Grow a red japanese maple here! BUT! How can I make sure my maple goes into DORMANT mode!lol. Here it begins to get hot around November and it doesnt last to long! If anyone can give me a hand with this question it will be appreciet it!Im new with maples so I need as much help as possible! thanks!

Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 2:49PM
More Discussions
Has anyone ordered a Jap. Maple online
Looking for a lace leaf japanese maple around 3 Gal....
420benz
Japanese Maples - first year care
Zone 7a - North Alabama Hello and first real post in...
Bama_Joe
7-day season for maple sap?
Here in Southern Minnesota, had an unseasonable warm...
grovestead
Japanese maple tree identification
Hi, I got this Japanese Maple from an arbor day giveaway...
iluv2knit
School me on transplanting a med/large Cascading JM
I have a chance to save a JM I know little about. Looks...
missrivka
Sponsored Products
Sure Fit Stretch Polyester Stripe Recliner Slipcover
Overstock.com
Modern Silver Black Vessel Bathroom Sink by MaestroBath
maestrobath
Tech Lighting | Topo Flush Mount Ceiling Light
$712.80 | YLighting
Area Rug: John Red 6' Round
Home Depot
Woodson Loveseat - Cordova Picante Orange
Joybird Furniture