clearing garden bed for new plants...help!

donnas_gw(7)March 9, 2008

I have a large flower bed where several years ago I planted snapdragons and gladioli bulbs. The snapdragons drop their seeds like crazy and it seems like I'm never going to get rid of all of the new ones that pop up every year. Same for the gladioli bulbs. I've tried to remove all of the large bulbs, but I can't get rid of those small bulbs that seem to multiply every year. I want to do something different with this flower bed. I want something more permanent like some type of shrubs or conifers that will also be pretty much maintainance free, but I know that snapdragons and gladiolis are going to pop up everywhere after I've planted whatever I've chosen. What should I do, line the flower bed with layers of newspaper first or something like that? Will that take care of these little shoots for good? What I want is a "clean" flowerbed to start with this spring. Please give me some advice. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beagler1776(z6MD)

I might try some form of "lasagna bed..." I think newspaper would work, but cardboard might be even better AND quicker to install under mulch. You might ask you local home improvement/box store if they have any spare appliance boxes. They'll resist bulblets better and you can just punch holes through where you want your shrubs. Eventually they'll decay - do a lasagna search as I'm no expert! ;-)
Good luck and happy spring!

Bookmark   March 16, 2008 at 2:51PM
More Discussions
Native Plant lectures in Baltimore area
Here is a link: http://www.bluewaterbaltimore.org/blog/2015nativeplantlectureseries/ I...
amanda_m
Green winged things
HI all! I see how dead the board is these days and...
CEFreeman
Looking for nursery for Ginkgo seedlings (bareroot)
i am looking for a wholesale nursery that will sell...
maple_man
Some account related stuff that people have been asking about
A couple of things. If you haven't figured it out yet,...
Larry Kahn
Flowers that will bloom by June 20th in Zone 7a?
Getting married June 20th and want to grow some of...
Morcar21
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™