Wisteria

lfellow(Zn4 TwinC)February 3, 2006

OK I am probably getting way over board with my 'plans' for the yard (certifiable garden freak here) - I'd love to be able grow Kentucky Wisteria on the south side of my house.

However I've heard two things: that it is not hardy in our zone and that it is finicky about blooming.

Anyone have any experience with this plant (getting it to winter over and having it bloom)- I am willing to go above and beyond what it takes to make it grow (if its possibility).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginkgonut(4)

I planted "Aunt Dee' in summer '04 so I can't attest to it's ability to bloom in mpls. It died back by about half the winter of 04-05. Last summer it grew like crazy (about 10ft) so definitely have an idea of what kind of support system you are going to have for it. I have 25 feet of lattice fence for it to cover. I would conisder where it is planted a somewhat sheltered spot from the wind, though no heat from structures. So I will see how it does after this winter in terms of die back and decide if I am going to stick with it. In the meantime it's covering my fence quickly and the foliage looks nice. Last year I saw a "Blue Moon" wisteria that is supposed to be hardier. Hopefully someone else will have more info.

Bookmark   February 3, 2006 at 6:19PM
kms4me

Blue Moon wisteria is very hardy and has been a reliable bloomer for approximately the past six years in our yard, and in most summers repeats its bloom 2 to 3 times. It is not in a particularly protected location.

Bookmark   February 5, 2006 at 2:12AM
leaveswave(.)

I have the asian wisteria and it's hardy. It is planted near the house on the south side. Mine bloomed the first year, and that was a bit on the lucky side, I think. In fact, one year it bloomed FOUR times for me! Some individual plants don't bloom for several years, though there's things one can do to encourage bloom, such as root pruning. It often sends up shoots from the base in the spring; if you're anywhere near the western 'burbs, you're welcome to try and root some cuttings.

Bookmark   February 5, 2006 at 10:55PM
Karen Jurgensen

Has anyone trained Wisteria into standard form? i have a baby Aunt Dee that I planted last autumn... I'm hoping to treain it into a weeping tree for the patio. any thought or suggestions?

Bookmark   February 8, 2006 at 10:47AM
More Discussions
Log Home for sale
We are going to be putting our home on the market soon...
doucanoe
Tips for Growing beets?
I've tried growing beets for 3 years now, every year...
srj19
red wiglers in MN?
Id like to find some redwiglers as close as possible...
zymguy
Seed catalog time
Over the past two weeks a whole lot of seed and nursery...
OldDutch
Have you grown foxglove or sweetpea from seed?
I was wondering, have any of you grown these from seed?...
primgal36
Sponsored Products
Stonegate Designs | Wisteria Table Lamp
$441.00 | YLighting
Stonegate Designs | Wisteria 16 Inch Pendant Light
$660.24 | YLighting
King Lyrics Voile Sham - WISTERIA-LAVENDER (21X36)
$163.00 | Horchow
Sample-Wisteria Polished Glass Pencil Liners Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
Jardins du Seda France Wild Lotus Two-Wick Candle
$59.50 | FRONTGATE
Carnation Wisteria Pouf
$69.99 | zulily
Green Tiffany Lady Sculpture Wisteria Table Lamp
ParrotUncle
7-Inch Wisteria Mini Pendant
$165.60 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for: