Tulips blooming close to ground

lvmygrdn(z7 MD)March 28, 2006

This has not happened before. They were planted in the fall. They are the correct depth and were planted at the correct time. The soil is amended. Do you thinks it's because of the dry March we have had or the warm temps? It seems a bit early for them to blooming.

Ree

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blueheron(z6 PA)

Are you saying they're shorter than normal? The usual reason for short daffs or tulips is that they were planted too late in the year for them to have a suitable vernalization period.

Bookmark   March 28, 2006 at 8:30PM
lvmygrdn(z7 MD)

That makes sense however I planted them as soon as I received them from Van Engelen which I believe was the second week of October. I plant hundreds of tulips every year. This is the first year this has happened. It only seems to be a few varieties. The later blooming tulips seem to be okay so far.

Bookmark   March 28, 2006 at 9:29PM
brenda444

I'm having the same problem. I don't have a lot of experience with planting tulips, so I thought maybe I had just chosen short varieties or something.

Bookmark   March 29, 2006 at 8:05PM
annebert(6b/7a MD)

I know that tulips produced as cut flowers will be too short if not kept on the cool side, so my guess is the warm temps.

Bookmark   April 3, 2006 at 10:59AM
annebert(6b/7a MD)

I know that tulips produced as cut flowers will be too short if not kept on the cool side, so my guess is the warm temps. And the drought probably doesn't help.

Bookmark   April 3, 2006 at 11:00AM
shinebrite39(7 NY)

Hello--
Mine too, however I never planted much of anything, so I thought it was me. My Muscar's are like 3 inches too.
Because I never planted I tried to make sure I planted them @ the right depth. Glad to know it's not only mine :-)

Bookmark   April 5, 2006 at 7:55PM
gardener_sandy

The same thing happend here. Mine were planted late and we had an exceptionally mild winter so it's not too surprising but they really do look weird.

Bookmark   April 6, 2006 at 11:54AM
lvmygrdn(z7 MD)

I contacted Van Engelen and the gentleman I spoke to said it was either poor root development or more than likely because of the warm weather and lack of rain. It looks like only my double tulips are shorter than they should be. The others are where they should be. I think watering, the recent rain and the cooler temps have helped.

Bookmark   April 8, 2006 at 6:28AM
scottimd(z7 MD)

I had the same prob with short tulips this year. However, they seemed to grow to normal height afterwhile. I thought I may have planted too deep or lack of fertilizer, but the garden looks great now. Just had a SHORT start. = )

Bookmark   April 21, 2006 at 3:43PM
More Discussions
Article on Rain Garden design
Hope this is the right forum: This Philadelphia landscaper...
jkom51
Raspberries or Blackberries for northern VA
Hi, Well I posted something about honeyberries and...
zendog
Sweet Potatoes Curled
This was my first year trying to grow sweet potatoes....
freedomeagle
Leafgro??
I started a new 10' x 12' raised bed this year and...
tinyspaceinannapolis
Bottle Trees & Evil Spirits
So I've been a busy bee this season. Thank goodness....
CEFreeman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™