Anyone grow hydrponicly?

Rio_GrandeJune 27, 2013

Just wondering. Thinking I could justify heat in the GH this winter?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
myfamilysfarm

There are a couple of guys up here that are doing it, but they don't have much during Jan/feb. Whether they make money or not, I can't say. I'll look up their sites and email you.

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 10:31AM
myarr

I'm also interested in this topic. I am starting hydroponically with lettuce and herbs.

myfamilysfarm, could you please send me the info as well? Thanks!

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 3:57PM
myfamilysfarm

Since others were interested.

In Indiana, west central part, there were 2 people that used to use the high tunnels. I know one did state that he was growing lettuces hydroponically, at least 1 year. I'm not sure if he is still or not. His prices were much higher than most customers wanted to pay, from what I seen. But he also had a free tunnel made for him, and he had LOTS of money backing him.

Since I'm not in that market any longer, I don't know what he is doing, except growing like hotcakes. But then again, as I stated, he had plenty of backing, financially.

I'm sure if you researched the internet, you could find sites that could help you.

I believe different areas and conditions will determine whether it's really worth it or not.

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 5:41PM
Rio_Grande

Thanks for the info. I don't see how it could be profitable. Costs are much higher than dirt and heating anything in Indiana is gonna hurt.

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 7:20PM
randy41_1

i think the only crop that would be profitable is tomatoes.

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 6:04AM
myfamilysfarm

The one person that I know was growing hydro, changed over to tomatoes in 5-gal buckets.

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 6:46AM
cole_robbie(6)

My market has one hydro tomato guy. He has the first tomatoes every year, but they are really awful. He picks them green and gasses them with ethylene to turn them pink. They are flavorless mush, but people still buy them because they are the first tomatoes.

I would really like to experiment with early spring hydro tomatoes by super-insulating a section of my greenhouse and using a grow light as the heat source. I think I can do it, but I also have a tendency to underestimate by far the amount of time that projects like this will earn back the expense of building them.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 3:42AM
myfamilysfarm

I've been thinking about putting a 10x10 pop-up canopy inside of my 22x45, then wrap it with plastic with a heater inside. Just afraid of what the heat bill might be.

I have a 10x10 that is broken, but could be made into a non-pop-up.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 10:02AM
More Discussions
Pump recommendation for watering in greenhouse?
Hey everyone, We're looking to set up a large water...
secondspring
What to charge for tilling a garden spot
I had a guy ask me what I would charge him to till...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
I had my best germination/seedling growth ever this year....
Well, instead of buying my plug mix this year, I made...
theripetomatofarm
Growing ginger in northern areas
This is my first year growing ginger, I have 10 pounds...
mdfarmer
Starting an urban farm
Greetings all. I have read a great deal on these forums...
chardy_har_har
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™